Bad news for manual lovers

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by wyldhorses, May 21, 2014.

1. OldHasBeen

OldHasBeen Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2010

I once met a truck driver from Chicago out west, before driving a truck he had worked at a service station on the west side of Chicago. He told me one morning a fellow & family stopped in & filled up with gas, this was back in the days when there was no self service gas.

Them late that afternoon a car stopped for gas & it looked familiar to him, & the driver looked familiar too. after a bit he finally said to the man, "Haven't I met you before?" At about that moment it hit him, & the other fellow, this was the car that had stopped early that morning filling up with gas & here it was back again with the gas tank nearly empty.

The fellow had gotten lost, been driving around
    Chicago all day long, them wound up at the stationed he filled up with gas early that morning, & having asked direction.

Yes, he asked for direction once more & listened very close to the direction. Must have been fun to be lost in
    Chicago all day long.

I've driven though many cites, & unloaded in them, sure would hate to drive around them all day long everyday. That would cause much driver tension.

milskired Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    No disrespect to you but tell me how you feel about driving such a old,rough truck in 25y.
    When the inconviences off your body getting older start to really hurt.
    Then tell me you will never drive a auto.:biggrin_25524:

4. mattbnr

mattbnr Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Tama,Iowa
    Some of our trucks already have that on guard system and guess what? It seen a deer in the road that the driver didn't and started slowing down way before the driver knew what was even going on. It was late at night and really dark. So yes I believe the sensors are way more reliable then a driver.

5. milskired

milskired Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    After my time in the military my body is in line of about a 55 year old.... it's estimated that every 1 year as an infantryman in the marine corp is roughly 7 years of wear and tear on your body. I did 4 years and I'm 29. Trust me, there estimate is not far off.

Yes the truck rode like crap, my point was the fact that I drove around this Old 2 stick 6 speed in Chicago all the time, in traffic all day, and I would not want an auto in it!

6. daf105paccar

Apr 15, 2012
    Like i said before...........tell me how you feel about it in 25y.

Are you ready to be a member on TTR for that long? :biggrin_2559::biggrin_25522:

7. milskired

milskired Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    So in 25 years when I have most likely both knees replaced, probably major surgery on both shoulders and my back along with numerous other parts of my legs. I would guess I'll be using a cane, walker or something of that sort... Does not mean that I am going to want an automatic in my truck. Trucks with slave Cylinder hydraulic clutches are so easy on the knee! Only driven 2 but they are great!

8. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    These systems are coming along. But long , long way from being ready to take over. My current truck has the newest lane departure system. It picks up tire tracks in the rain, tar lines, repairs . If it would been charge today, coming through the cross Bronx it would have killed many. Last I checked interstate was big roads. It wanted the truck over 3 to 4 feet. Not any where that much room . Would need something new besides any thing we have now.

9. daf105paccar

Apr 15, 2012
    Add "servoshift" to that are you are good till retirement.:yes2557:

milskired Thanks this.
  10. wyldhorses

wyldhorses Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2012
    United States
    I wonder if the new robot trucks that don't even have a human driver will have a manual or automatic transmission? That's the most important question. ha

11. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    Why would a robot want or need an automatic transmission?
    Automatic transmissions are for humans, --- who will be replaced with robots who know how to shift a multi-speed manual transmission. However, there'll still be a human on board every Big truck, --- partly due to tradition, but mostly to be the fall-guy to take the blame for any mishap that may occur. Courts and jails don't deal with robots. Can y'all just imagine a judge sentencing a robot to life in prison without the possibility of parole? Or the electric chair? Gas chamber? Firing squad? Hanged by the neck till, ..................... what? Dead?

It's inhumane to incarcerate a robot. Robots won't even realize they're bein' punished. Besides, there'll be a whole lot more humans than robots. Can we afford to deactivate a valuable, low maintenance robot that never complains about conditions? Especially considerin' there'll be a bunch of used-2-Bees gone broke and needin' a place to retire. Tell 'em it's an assisted livin' facility. For a lot of 'em it'll be their first home with roots instead of wheels that turn.
    Seems like a win/win situation.

Question that lingers is, ..... will the robot Big truck truck drivers honk the air horns for the kids in 4-wheelers driven the old fashion way, by non-automated parents? A professional, human Big truck truck driver wouldn't disappoint youngsters by ignorin' their simple request to hear the air horns honk.
    Robots ain't got no heart.
    :biggrin_25512:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.