bad swift mentor BEWARE

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by butterfli73, Jun 17, 2010.

1. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

Good Luck.

The next company will be better for him.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. future driver

future driver Light Load Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Sad story, but if he's driven for tha pumpkin for 3 years..what's tha prob. with him driving # night & why wait till tha last day to vent about it..something could be wrong with tha math here..

strat57 Thanks this.
  4. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Look all he has to do is walk away, if they are being as mean as you say go see an attorney. File a suit against swift and the mentor. Bottom line is that you are the one to decide what your willing to put with.

Your husband has the power to walk away.

Every driver out here has to decide what they will or will not put up with. I simply would not stay. I would not put myself into the situation of signing a contract with any company putting me and my family into indentured servitude, nor would I ever advise anyone else to.

1. Do not become a contract trainee with or for anyone or company.
    You can get your license from a community college.

2. Do not sign a no money down lease, when you really examine them you can make better or at least equal money driving for a company.

I'm sorry for your families woe's, However our life the result of our own decision's. If a company treated me the way you say they treated him I would have them in court before there heads stop spinning. Go get them, set them up so you have a winnable case and go get them, teach them not to mess with you.

5. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    If he was when the orange trucks for 3 years when is he with a trainer, something here does not add up. If he did not sign a contract why would he put up with it at all, simply go solo then he has no one to blame but him self if it goes wrong.

Your husband is as much to blame here as anyone else if he has 3 year experience.

6. otherhalftw

otherhalftw Insignificant Otter

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Hi Butterfli...I was a mentor with Swift for 12 years, Nana is telling you right...the Mentor, nor the DM have the authority to fire your husband...nor does the terminal manager...your husband is in the Driver Development group...they are his boss, as they are the Mentors boss...your husband needs to document all the issues with this Mentor and report them to Driver Development. DD will get him with another Mentor and get him going again...don't let him quit at this point...if he has enough miles/time into the training, they might just test him out.

In any case, DD and Swift, need to know about what has happened. Many trainers tell their students they are in charge...they aren't, they have no authority...NONE, they have to ask permission to get a student off their truck. And the DM, of course they will defend the Mentor/driver on their board...that Mentor is miles in the DM's pool...no DM wants to lose a Mentor truck from his fleet, so they defend the Mentor.

butterfli73 Thanks this.
  7. otherhalftw

otherhalftw Insignificant Otter

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    I will disagree with you on these points;

1. the L/O Mentor with Swift is probably not making it solo, so they take on a student, and give up 5cpm to have the student to in effect double the miles paid to the truck. A good L/O...O/O wouldn't need a student to get his needed miles...he also needs a good DM.

2. When a L/O...O/O with Swift takes on a student, Swift agrees to be responsible for any and all damages to the truck resulting from the students error or student responsibility. The Mentor and Swift have a signed Contract Addendum when the L/O...O/O becomes a Mentor.

gdyupgal Thanks this.
  8. cowboy_tech

cowboy_tech Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Avondale, CO
    If the person has not driven a truck in, I think, two years, Swift will make them go through training again.

9. cookie278

cookie278 Medium Load Member

Dec 3, 2009
    WA
    I am sorry Butterfli :biggrin_25513: Your husbands experience at Lewiston and with Swift has been the exact opposite of my husbands. If you really feel your husband has been treated unfairly then please follow otherhalf's advice.

10. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I don't really care what SWIFT does, If her husband has 3 year exp, why would he be with a trainer or mentor.... Something is not right here. Great story thou bit it don't add up.

And a L/O is not a O/O by any stretch of the imagination.

But, if you go out with a trainer you are moving into there world, and will have to abide by there rules. And it sucks but it is what it is....

When I owned my own truck I had take out students to teach them and I had a set of rules right up front they had to agree to to go with me.

1. My truck my rules.

2. If you need to smoke you have to stop and get out and away from my truck to do so. If you get caught smoking in my truck I will leave you right there on the side of the road, so don't smoke in the truck.(This includes any tobacco products, you ain't spitting in my truck either)

3. Once load a driving shift 11 ours equals 600 miles. Thats what I drive thats what I expect.

4. Use truckstops for the driver change, so personal business like showers happen at shift change. Also food etc....

No Smoke, No Stink, No Drugs, No Booze.

And yes I did get alot of complaints, So what. My way or the highway.
    But that was all along time ago. Sold the company, invested in a ROTH / IRA. Now a happy little camper as a company driver.

11. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Just another reason to not go with SWIFT.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted