Bans don't deter killers /OPINION

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Cybergal, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Bans don't deter killers
    4/23/07
    article continues

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dbreed

dbreed Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Yep, the cowards wouldn't dare try that in a place where they might get return fire.

4. Calinn

Calinn Bobtail Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Columbia, KY
    You hit the nail on the head, most criminals have two facts in common.

1.) They are always looking for the easy target.

2.) They are cowardly when confronted with a challenge.

If they know there is a high probability of the victim being armed. They will not commit the crime.

5. earthbrown

earthbrown Medium Load Member

May 27, 2006
    exactly, too bad most liberals wont understand.

K

6. Aussie

Aussie <strong>Thunder From DownUnder</strong>

May 7, 2006
    Lynchburg, VA
    People are beginning to notice what research has shown for years: Multiple-victim public shootings keep occurring in places where guns are already banned. Forty states have broad right-to-carry laws, but even within these states it is the "gun-free zones," not other public places, where the attacks happen. It is high time that legislatures remove these roadblocks to people protecting themselves, including at public universities.

I'm sorry to say that I don't agree with what this person has written! In his article he says to look at the recent events in Australia, France, Germany and Britain.
    I'll concentrate on a shooting in Australia as it's my homeland.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial/bryant/

April 28th 1996 saw the murder of 35 people - now serving 35 life terms - and the wounding of 37 - still regarded as the most notorious spree killing of all time. This happened in a tourists resort called Port Arthur in Tasmania, a place I remember visiting as a child - one of Australia's most brutal penal settlements. It was after this that Australia enacted its Gun Control, initiated by the Federal Govt. and endorsed by the States as they had the final say. True, not all people handed in their weapons but those that had no need of guns, did so, being the honest people - exceptions were made and of course, the NRA stuck its nose in and were told in no uncertain terms where to put it.

It's a shame that a lesson was'nt seen to be in the making for other countries including the USA, that a gun in the hands of an individual, can bring about so much devastation and heartbreak. So many times it has been shown, seemingly normal people who suddenly get a vision of discrimination, hate of wealth, does'nt like a co-worker etc, goes in and starts shooting a place up. If unlimited gun ownership was allowed would this still happen, I say yes it would, except with the mentality of some people around today, it would probably end up worse as it would end up in a free-for-all with old grudges being settled or just that old attitude, if it moves, shoot it and justify self defense.

My opinion is to ban all guns for an individual unless they can justify a need for a weapon like in stock and vermin control, Gun Clubs etc.

In this country it won't happen as your Constitution allows you the right to bear arms so exercise your rights and I respect them.

P.S - I'm a Foreign National so I'll never own a gun, and I don't want one.

7. Ronnocomot

Ronnocomot Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2006
    IL
    The people who commit these crimes have no regard for laws in the first place. Meth is illegal, does anyone think that is hard to get? Weed? Coke?

The problem with gun control laws is that people who actually follow the law are handicapped against those who do not.

Aussies do not have a 1500 mile porous border with people who would like nothing better than for the U.S. to ban handgun sales, Mexico and points south would love to add handguns to their shopping lists of things they provide for us.

Australia is an island, so is Britain. Lots easier to control this sort of thing.

8. Aussie

Aussie <strong>Thunder From DownUnder</strong>

May 7, 2006
    Lynchburg, VA
    Australia is an island with about 12000 miles of coastline to cover so getting stuff in that's deemed illegal can be done, though if caught, you end up being a guest of the Federal Govt. for a few years.
    Even though I don't like the idea of guns being as freely available as they are, I do respect your rights to own/carry one as I pointed out.

9. Calinn

Calinn Bobtail Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Columbia, KY
    Just some food for thought. Kennesaw GA made firearm ownership mandatory and thier crime rate plummeted and the population grew. Morton Grove IL banned guns for all but police and the population declined and the crime rate went up.

That should be the end of any theories or arguements. Here are the facts in real live application. We don't need to guess at what happens when guns are support or banned. Now we know.

[​IMG]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]VIRGINIA TECH MASSACRE[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Palatino, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+2]25 years murder-free in 'Gun Town USA'[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Palatino, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+1]Crime rate plummeted after law required firearms for residents[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=-1]Posted: April 19, 2007
    1:52 p.m. Eastern

[/SIZE][FONT=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]

[FONT=Palatino, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times, serif]
    [SIZE=-1]© 2007 WorldNetDaily.com [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [​IMG]
    Kennesaw, Ga., City Hall
    As the nation debates whether more guns or fewer can prevent tragedies like the Virginia Tech Massacre, a notable anniversary passed last month in a Georgia town that witnessed a dramatic plunge in crime and violence after mandating residents to own firearms.
    In March 1982, 25 years ago, the small town of Kennesaw – responding to a handgun ban in Morton Grove, Ill. – unanimously passed an ordinance requiring each head of household to own and maintain a gun. Since then, despite dire predictions of "Wild West" showdowns and increased violence and accidents, not a single resident has been involved in a fatal shooting – as a victim, attacker or defender.
    The crime rate initially plummeted for several years after the passage of the ordinance, with the 2005 per capita crime rate actually significantly lower than it was in 1981, the year before passage of the law.
    Prior to enactment of the law, Kennesaw had a population of just 5,242 but a crime rate significantly higher (4,332 per 100,000) than the national average (3,899 per 100,000). The latest statistics available – for the year 2005 – show the rate at 2,027 per 100,000. Meanwhile, the population has skyrocketed to 28,189.
    (Story continues below)adsonar_placementId=1270202;adsonar_pid=663759;adsonar_ps=1451068;adsonar_zw=300;adsonar_zh=250;adsonar_jv="ads.adsonar.com";
    By comparison, the population of Morton Grove, the first city in Illinois to adopt a gun ban for anyone other than police officers, has actually dropped slightly and stands at 22,202, according to 2005 statistics. More significantly, perhaps, the city's crime rate increased by 15.7 percent immediately after the gun ban, even though the overall crime rate in Cook County rose only 3 percent. Today, by comparison, the township's crime rate stands at 2,268 per 100,000.
    This was not what some predicted.
    In a column titled "Gun Town USA," Art Buchwald suggested Kennesaw would soon become a place where routine disagreements between neighbors would be settled in shootouts. The Washington Post mocked Kennesaw as "the brave little city … soon to be pistol-packing capital of the world." Phil Donahue invited the mayor on his show.
    Reuters, the European news service, today revisited the Kennesaw controversy following the Virginia Tech Massacre.
    Police Lt. Craig Graydon said: "When the Kennesaw law was passed in 1982 there was a substantial drop in crime … and we have maintained a really low crime rate since then. We are sure it is one of the lowest (crime) towns in the metro area." Kennesaw is just north of Atlanta.
    The Reuters story went on to report: "Since the Virginia Tech shootings, some conservative U.S. talk show hosts have rejected attempts to link the massacre to the availability of guns, arguing that had students been allowed to carry weapons on campus someone might have been able to shoot the killer."
    Virginia Tech, like many of the nation's schools and college campuses, is a so-called "gun-free zone," which Second Amendment supporters say invites gun violence – especially from disturbed individuals seeking to kill as many victims as possible. Cho Seung-Hui murdered 32 and wounded another 15 before turning his gun on himself.
    [/FONT]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.