Base of operations setup in a different state then your state of residency?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by turboguy, Mar 31, 2020.

1. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Wait..... So I can live in NC, but have my business based in another state to avoid paying NC taxes??

Playboyfemi Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. turboguy

turboguy Light Load Member

May 16, 2015
    Im looking at getting my own authority
    so how does it work when your LLC/ Operating Authority is in state A but you're a resident of state B?

for example When you have the new entrant DOT inspection? Do you have to come back to State A to have that done? or can the local DOT officer of that state you are currently in come complete the inspection?

4. femalecdla

femalecdla Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2018

If you are referring to my post about how Progressive increased my rates because my office is located in a different city but within the same state, no I didn’t do it to cheat the system/insurance companies. Why would I want to do that as a legitimate corporation?

My reasons for opening my office at its current address was due to my business partner location and an agreement made between my business and their business. It was also due in part because it is more convenient for me to park my truck at my business partner terminal were my truck has 24 hour security, is within a gated yard, and my office sitting right next door to the terminal.

My company makes no attempt at cheating the system or breaking the law in any form or fashion. Nothing presented to Progressive, DOT, FMCSA, or local/State government agencies is false information. I have never nor will I ever park my truck at my home address. Progressive has been made aware of this and evidence has supported the facts. However, it was Progressive’s decision is to ignore the facts and go by what address is listed on my CDL license. This was explained to me, my agents, PA insurance commission, and my attorney that Progressive’s policy is that I could not operate my business more than a 60 mile radius from my home. Therefore, Progressive insists that I move my company closer to my home address. This of course is insane. Yet, beyond anyone’s control as I nor anyone else can force Progressive to change their policy. And for the record, my business partner also has a terminal in NJ which Progressive denied this address as well stating the same policy.

5. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Wow that policy and explanation is insane. To me it sounds like progressive doesnt really want your business. Only you no of if makes financial sense to stay with them or not.
    You can gave your main office anywhere 6ou want with satellite offices anywhere else you choose. For instance the company I'm leased to is in ct. Yet our HQ is in Ft Wayne and trucks are base plates and insured from there. The trailers are mostly plated and insured out if Maine. Considering the company has been around since 1923, has offices in every state, with every things from mopeds, cars,van's, trucks, tractors, trailers, even boats registered. I'm thinking they probably know the law and proper corp structures.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.