Battery charger

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by International2020, May 20, 2024.

1. International2020

International2020 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2023
    South Carolina
    OK, so I’m wanting to charge my batteries would buying a battery charger at Walmart. Be the same thing as what they would do at the truckstop when you ask them to charge your batteries is that the same thing?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Why do you need a battery charger? To answer your question, you would need a heavy duty battery charger, that is able to charge heavy truck batteries

4. International2020

Dec 17, 2023
    South Carolina
    Well I replaced my batteries due to inverter not working. Worked for a little with the small microwave, then eventually it went back to doing the low dc output. So I’m assuming the battery’s got drained again. So I want to charge them back up then replace my alternator. Can’t figure out wtf is wrong with the inverter. Everything has been replaced now except the alternator

5. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    try a farm store... a walmart charger would probably be fine. Just get something with decent amp output

6. International2020

Dec 17, 2023
    South Carolina
    Would this work? Leave it on overnight?
    IMG_4155.png

7. bad-luck

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I am not sure about that one. Call a battery dealer that sells commercial batteries, they will tell you exactly what you need

8. bad-luck

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Ok, do you have the truck running when using the microwave?

86scotty and Siinman Thank this.
  9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'd get something a little more heavy duty than that. It'll work but it'll be slower if the batteries are really drained. I'd get something capable of a 40-50 amp fast charge.

5UG Thanks this.
  10. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    Slow/trickle charge is best which would be the lowest rate on the charger. Also depends on what type of batteries you have. Not all chargers will charge the glass mat (AGM) batteries. Here is one example of a more versatile charger for a little more than the one at Wal-Mart. It does not have a boost mode but 50A would be for a car and not a heavy truck. Alternator should be load tested preferably with the newer capacitance type testers that will also check ripple. Ripple is the amount of ac current that gets through the diodes. Alternators often get weaker over time (won't put out the proper amps) due to bad diodes not converting enough current from ac to dc.
    Amazon.com : pro logix battery charger

11. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.