Battery maintenance at home?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Melissah, Feb 23, 2024.

1. Melissah

Melissah Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2024
    We've always shut our bobtail down during hometime. Truck was left in a lot for a week. Now we are in the position to bring it home and don't want to shut it down. Last time we brought it home was the first time and it was dead. We shut the apu off but don't want to shut inverter and refer in cab off. We've always used a trickle charger on out Chevy Tahoe while OTR but now need something similar for the bobtail at home. I tried researching the internet but way too many options so thought I'd ask you all.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Have a shop measure the load on the batteries with what you want to leave running. Then look for a maintainer that puts out 1 or 2 more amps then the load.

Hopefully you find someone that actually knows how to measure.

I'm finding that 99% on the internet think they do but they don't.

I recently bought a 2 Amp maintainer for the day truck I drive. But won't swear by it.

I'm thinking of using the harborfreight ones. .5 and.75 amps.

Keep in mind that if the batteries are old. They don't hold charge very long. And if you have dirt on top. Dirt acts as a conductor and will drain your batteries also. Clean the dirt off.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
  4. Melissah

Melissah Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2024
    Awesome. This helps so much!

5. Gliding ProStar

Gliding ProStar Heavy Load Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Waxahachie, Texas
    I use the Schumacher 8-amp smart charger on my truck. Once the batteries are fully charged tht Schumacher smart charger will drop through charge amps down to 3.5 amps to keep the inverter and both refrigerators going.

I paid $29.99 at Walmart a few months ago for another new one to use around the house.

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-S...nVbKq6mRRytoYoE_TQbtErF-swqC58TQaAvuHEALw_wcB

6. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    More expensive but a bit better in the weather protection end.
    I like the non gator clips, far better contact when bolted in for permanent install

NOCO 10A Smart Marine Battery Charger for AGM, Lithium, and Deep-Cycle Batteries - 12V, Waterproof, Onboard Boat https://a.co/d/iLGMygP

Attached Files:

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    The noco 2 amp is what I bought.

Read the manual. I can't say I'd recommend it.

I got the first flashing red light. Then it went solid. The manual says that's 25% charged but the battery still measured 13.05. Before hookup and after. I left it on overnight. Still one light and now 13.25 volts.

4 solid lights is 100% measuring 14.5 volts. According to the manual.

I don't think I want my resting batteries with no load reading 14.5 volts.

My HF maintainer keeps my motorcycle and generator fully charged at 13 volts.

Noco pushes it to 14.5. And it's pricey.

8. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Change your inverter to an inverter charger with passthrough (also called a transfer switch) and use your rig like an RV. When you are home simply plug in the shore power plug and the inverter's charger function takes over, charges your batteries with a proper charging algorithm and also runs your house loads while you are there, if needed. Meaning if you plug in a space heater inside the truck, for instance, it just runs 'through' the inverter, not actually inverting power.

This is all factory in my 21 Volvo with a Xantrex inverter charger and wired through the factory AC plugs but it was easy to rig up in my old tractor (a 15 Volvo) with an Aims 2500 PSW inverter.

I have a Noco 2 amp on one of my vehicles and I don't think it's nearly enough for a rig personally.

Siinman Thanks this.
  9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    If the rig is charged and not being used for anything. How many amps does one need to maintain the full charge?

When I installed new batteries. I measured the parasitic draw at .15 amps.

What does your noco vehicle volts read with the noco sitting on it?

Does it do what the manual says?

10. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Did you say you had a refrigerator running in it? If not the batteries should be fine for weeks on end. I would get them load tested and check all the connections.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.