Battle of the APUs

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Hazardous, Apr 11, 2021.

1. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    My truck had an idle free electric apu when I bought it , when it was connected to the reefer link it worked well and heated the engine ....unconnected to the reefer link it was worthless and the built inverter was very lame .
    One night it shorted out and got so hot it melted the batteries and it went to the scrap pile.
    Replaced it with a diesel carrier that has 15k hours on it now and it has given me very few problems...its a little loud tho.
    I run full synthetic 5w40 oil in it that is always drained before 1000 hours and all the filters get changed.
    At 2000 hours the generater belt gets changed...it gets iffy after that.
    Spring and fall I wash out the housing and engine .
    It has been thru 1 control panel and 1 mother board neither of which is cheap along with an alternater and a starter.
    I bought it used with 7605 hrs on it for 2500.00...they are plentiful and cheap, I like that it can be programmed to run continuous or start stop and it will monitor several conditions at once as well as heat the truck engine.
    Non of the apus I've had have been cheap to maintain but I wouldn't be without one .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Not to mention the savings on maintenance and downtime on emissions system from not idling main engine.

4. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    Yeah, plus if you open the box and see a motor, it's diesel, but if there's just a bunch of batteries instead, then it's electric.

5. reeferwrencher

reeferwrencher Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Thermo king engineers assume every day a trucker wakes up and drives 600 miles on the highway without stopping thus recharging the tripac batteries.If not well have fun in that florida heat tonight son cause your a/c ain't gonna work.

6. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Thermoking has excuse. They are from Minnesota how do they know Florida temperatures.

reeferwrencher Thanks this.
  7. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    My factory installed EPU does a decent job keeping the sleeper cool, not cold. IMO it does good enough and no noise and exhaust is a plus, I have RV batteries installed so not having a problem with low voltage. Would I go with an EPU again yes.

drivinhome, rachi and bzinger Thank this.
  8. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    We have a mix of TK tripaks/Evolutions and Carrier APU's in our lease fleet.

As you can guess, the guys that maintain their equipment still have working units. While the rest are constantly chasing gremlins.

We just bought a few new Freightliners with their EPU package. Had them configured to auto start the truck if the EPU battery bank needs charging. Should be a good test for them this summer.

bzinger Thanks this.
  9. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I have also noticed those that neglect these units and wait for them to quit running are the ones with a higher instance of problems.
    When I was a company driver I worked for a fleet that bought new tri paks on theyre new trucks and they did zero maintenance on them until they would no longer run .

kemosabi49 and rachi Thank this.
  10. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Proactive maintenance beats reactive maintenance every time. Also cheaper in the long run. But bean counters are to ####ing stupid to realize that. College educated idiots

11. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Lol actually no it's a fleet in south omaha I'm sure you are aware of and it isn't Morehouse.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.