Be Careful out there drivers

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by SteveScott, Jan 1, 2020.

1. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I drove from Oregon to Twin Falls, ID today and it was windy as all get out. I'm loaded heavy so it wasn't too bad, but I guess Wyoming and Colorado has it a little worse than I do. Glad I'm not over there.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    At least he stayed upright.

PE_T, Cattleman84, MOBee and 7 others Thank this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Yeah I think that was the best outcome he could have hoped for. Didn't look like he did it intentionally though. The wind did it for him.

PE_T, Upinsmoke, Woodys and 3 others Thank this.
  5. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    I’m not driving through Wyoming or Colorado during winter. I will do it in the summer but not winter. Same thing happens in California on the 395 between Barstow and Reno. I’ve seen many trucks tipped over due to wind , it always looks the same. The way they are laid out on the road , that one was wind. Sad situation.

6. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Doesn't Wyoming normally put out a wind advisory for high trailers/light loads?

Trucker61016, PE_T, Upinsmoke and 2 others Thank this.
  7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    They do, that guy most likely decided to go anyways

8. GraniteRiver

GraniteRiver Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2018
    I’m stuck here at Little America. 80 across Wyoming is shut down now. The shut downs crept across East to West starting this morning.

Upinsmoke, Suspect Zero and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  9. Mountaintrucker4302

Mountaintrucker4302 Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2015
    GA
    Those prime trucks tend to be real light too. At least it wasnt anything major. Sometimes stopping isnt an option either. A stopped truck on the interstate was blown over recently in colorado.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    Reason for edit: Media
  10. RunningAces

RunningAces Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2017
    The thing that is irritating about the wind advisories is they dont keep them updated all the time so you have to check local weather reports, which of course you should be doing when hitting I80 Wy in winter anyway. I dont want to disparage DOTs work in Wyoming, I've found them to be quite good in most other areas.

Trucker61016, Upinsmoke and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Last winter I was stuck in the snow storm at rest area in Wyoming. State trooper saw me digging snow from under my truck and offered a phone number of a local tow truck driver to pull me out. Since the highway was still closed and I didn’t want to pay for towing I thanked him but continued to dig. An hour later he came with the shovel and helped me dig out. Soon he had a guy with a pickup truck to pull me out. By that time the front loader finished cleaning the rest area and they opened the highway. I think I was the first one to leave that rest area. As I was leaving I saw him knocking on the doors of other truck drivers to make them dig out they trucks.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.