becoming a "homeless" trucker

Discussion in 'Prime' started by meatball138, Mar 9, 2009.

1. meatball138

meatball138 Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2009
    the south west
    I am starting my training next week and still have some questions, that i would rather not bother the recruiters with.

1) I just left my lease forseeing It would be a waste of money, and would rather save to buy a home when I can.Can I request my off days anywhere? say with family in one city and friends in another city, will they get sick of my changing where i go home? and how about where my tractor stays, I'll have a place for it one place,but not the other....

you guys have been great with helping me out, keep up the great work!

also....
    2) I heard you can only take 4 days off at a time, and that is fine.i want to be out and making the $ when i can.but if you are out 6 weeks working everyday, and only can use 4, do the days go into a bank of days?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    It's not a problem. Just let your FM know what's up, and they tend to cooperate really well. Your relationship with your dispatcher at any company is really important... helps to get what you need!

Prime will get you a load to route you to wherever it is you want your time off. You deliver, they send you to a place to drop your empty trailer, and you bobtail to the house. Personally, I park my tractor at a convenient truck stop, and my GF picks me up. The reverse order is the SOP on the way out. You may end up waiting in your tractor for a bit to get a load, since you aren't "ready for dispatch" while sitting at home.

Yes...

4. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Just make sure you keep a permanent address or you won't be able to deduct per diem from taxes . Arrange for a relative to accept your mail .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.