Becoming a trucker with a college degree?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by D.O.N.A.L.D, Sep 13, 2018.

1. D.O.N.A.L.D

D.O.N.A.L.D Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2018
    Im a 23 yr old and I'm currently a senior in college who has been working towards getting a major in Criminal Justice and a minor in Forensics. I originally chose the degree because I wanted to be a detective. Then after some months, I wanted to be a correctional officer. Then I decided that I did not want to do that and now I want to be a truck driver and I've been wanting to do this for the past 6 months or so and my desire to become a truck driver is only getting stronger. So, my plan is to graduate college with a Criminal Justice degree, then enroll in a CDL school in order to become a truck driver. I've told other people about my plans and I've been told that it's a stupid thing to do.. but becoming a truck driver has become my new dream because I feel like it will not only help me give money to my wife, but I feel like it will help me become a bigger man. What do you think?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    You will be better off getting a job in law enforcement. Much better pay and benefits and you can have a life outside of the truck.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  4. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Your friends are right,it's a stupid thing to do.
    Go into law enforcement.
    Trucking will always be one phone call
    Away if you need it.

5. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    there's alot of flip flopping here dude how do you know in 6 months time that you'll be thinking you want to be an astronaut ? And then in another year you'll be thinking about becoming a Dentist you've got to really think about what you'll enjoy doing in life set a goal and keep it i mean what made you want to be a detective and what made you change your mind? That's alot of money to waste on education.

6. Lav-25

Lav-25 Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    A- wow!! Really!!
    B- sit down , take a few deep breaths and relax
    C-go to the nearest truck stop and spend about 8 hrs there ( talk to mechanics,check out the food and fueling operations, restrooms and showers and there cost for such items) then think about living that way for about 6-8 wks at a time for at least a year
    D-if after all that , go find someone with a truck or go to a dealership and sit in one. If after 1/2 hr of staring out the window sounds fun- maybe. If not....
    E- grab a 12 pound hammer, take a hit or large drink , and drop the hammer on your bare right foot. That should solve any questions you have of driving a big truck.

7. D.O.N.A.L.D

D.O.N.A.L.D Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2018
    I just want to thank everyone who took the time to respond back to me

I have a fear of not being accepted. I may be better off in law enforcement, but the question is if I can even get in. I don't have anything on my record, but I've always had a hard time with getting jobs that required no education or passing an academy-based program. At 19 years old, my dream was to be a U.S. marine. I was at Parris Island for about a month before I was told that I was too slow on learning and catching on to the demonstrations and I eventually was honorably discharged... but that experience proved to me that I can't be whatever I want to be in life, like some parents teach their children. If I couldn't even be accepted by the marines, why would the cops accept me? I truly believe that I have a way higher chance of being accepted by the trucking industy and that the trucker lifestyle still be a life enriching experience.

I know I've been changing my mind a lot on what I want to be, but this time I feel confident that this is what I want to do after college. I feel like all those other things I wanted to be were either unrealistic or something from out of a book. What are the odds of me really becoming a detective or a cop? Even if I did have all of the qualifications, something would probably still keep it from happening. I don't believe that going to college will ever be a waste, and neither the stuff that I've learned while there.

Sounds good to me! The hammer part, not so much, but I could get used to it, ha

8. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Trucking can wait. There will always be a company willing to hire anyone with a pulse and a cdl. If you don’t try to use your degree it will all have been for nothing. No law enforcement agency is going to be impressed with a trucking job on your resume if you decide it’s not for you and try to reverse course. That door will close. I waited until I was sure my degrees were useless before I started trucking. To persist in this job requires tenacity and a dose of desperation. If you abandon your education now you’ll never know if you could have made it. You could always become a commercial vehicle enforcement officer and get your trucking fix vicariously and get home to the wife every day. Border patrol is usually hiring too. Don’t sell yourself short. If you need to see a therapist about your self esteem.

9. Lav-25

Lav-25 Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Look , what i think we all are trying to say is - Get The Degree!! , apply for something that goes with it. Until you try , you don't know. My remark is to show a point, it is not for everyone. I know 2 people that are LEO's and they got there CDL's as part of there jobs. Try the military again, (all of them!) , try the BP, DOD,Private Security / Investigator. You have a lot of options and obviously the brains, don't quit and keep trying. Good luck

10. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    If you struggled at Paris Island I do not think you will be sucsesful in law enforcement or corrections. COs make $48-60k, so the income is is the same as a truck, leos make more, and have a nice pension plan usually, but also a high degree of risk.

I know a couple of guys who left trucking to get into law enforcement , then realized there is more money in trucking.

At the end of the day, its what will make you happy.

11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I have the right to remain silent.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.