Becoming a trucker with a college degree?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by D.O.N.A.L.D, Sep 13, 2018.

1. PhilippInecioni51

PhilippInecioni51 Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2022
    I think it's great that you have a plan and are following through with it! I know it can be difficult to change your mind about what you want to do with your life, but it sounds like you have found something you are passionate about.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Be an OTR truck driver for a year or two, then go into law enforcement. Your trucking experience will make you a better cop. You'll be able to travel around the country and experience many different types of people/cultures, you'll learn the layouts of factories, small towns, interstate highway system and trucking regulations. You'll learn how to find things (addresses) under extreme pressure. It will make you a more well rounded cop.

4. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    If you want to become a detective you'll have to be accepted into and then graduate from the police academy, pass the state licensing exam, become appointed to an agency, complete field training, and then be a patrol officer for a minimum of 2 to 3 years depending upon the agency policy before you can be promoted to detective or transfer into a detective position at a different agency.

And I know / have known about a dozen people who have left patrol or corrections to become drivers, but in over 20 years of driving I've only known two people who did the opposite. The pay cut is just too much for most people.

5. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    I'm answering a zombie thread. I hope everyone's still alive.
    Truck driving is the most dangerous job in NA.
    900 deaths and thousands injured/year.
    Police work is not even ranked in the top 10.
    Dangerous as it is, truck driving is not for everyone.
    Turnover rate usually is around 100% at Megas.
    The training should not be offered without a psychological evaluation.
    60 questions with 4 choices each.
    No right or wrong answers.
    It just confirms your compatibility with the job.
    Over 80% you have a future in trucking.
    At 60-80% you have a fighting chance.
    At 40-60% you should consider other options.
    At 20-40% you should never drive anything.
    At 0-20% Are you convinced you are a human?
    But, here we are, with the roads full of bad drivers.
    I really enjoyed most posts.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    Reason for edit: Typos and more typos.
    Mattflat362 and AModelCat Thank this.
  6. supergreatguy

supergreatguy Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2020
    Well you definitely won’t become a taller man, but a bigger man. In the stomach, absolutely brother

7. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    I have two college degrees. And I drive a truck. Well, I did up until I got shot walking my dog in our trailer drop yard.

Degrees don't mean anything. It's already been proven that someone who learns a trade will make more money than someone who goes to college and winds up tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt with student loans (unless of course our president drops those loans on taxpayers and "forgives" them).

With two college degrees the day I took my first driving job my pay doubled. It has since almost doubled again.

8. OldRoadRon

OldRoadRon Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2022
    I always tell young adults like yourself is that getting a CDL is a good idea. However, with that CJ degree, become a cop first. In case you don’t like it or things turned out in a way that you didn’t hope, you have Plan B ready for use (your CDL). If you like it, then congratulations and I wish you good luck with getting those criminals off the streets.

9. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    You got shot?! When? Did you ever post about this?!?!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.