Becomming a Freight Broker

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Goodykos, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Goodykos

Goodykos Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Here is my story...

I am a truck driver of 6 years. I am currently working towards my associates degree in supply chain management and planning on going on to earning my bachelors later on, but want to work as a broker as I achieve that. I have been discussing with my wife about getting a broker's license and working for a freight brokerage firm.
    My question is that does my experience in trucking and my future associates degree help me as a broker and look good to future employers or does my experience and degree make that irrelevant? What kind of tips can you give me to help me on my way?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AlBig

AlBig Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2017
    All you have learn to become a brocker ..never says truth.. if u keep bs many drivers may get reach

4. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Huh .... o_O

DSK333, Trucking in Tennessee and p608 Thank this.
  5. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    As a broker the only thing relevant is the ability to get customers and trucks. When you have a choice of hiring between a degree and experience, you usually choose experience.

PPDCT Thanks this.
  6. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Obviously not from Alabama....

7. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    Please press 1 for English.

8. Volvo 2015

Volvo 2015 Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2018
    How you start? Where do you study?

9. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    You get a job at a freight brokerage. Right now they are definitely hiring. Generally this means signing a non-compete. Then you work there for a couple to a few years and learn the ropes completely... Then you go sit out your non-compete and come back as a freight agent for one of the better small brokerages.

This is a career not easy money. It's very rewarding financially if you put in the effort, but be aware that it's a lot of effort. You're going to feel like your soul is leaking out of your ears from cold calling and you'll never have a moment without something hanging over your head again. If you can cope with that you're 75% of the way there. The rest is talent and you have it or you don't.

EDIT: If I had it all to do over again I'm not even sure I wouldn't be selling solar panels or working in the waste management industry (in a similar role to the one I'm in now as a freight broker). There are a LOT of jobs that are very similar to freight broker out there. B2B sales is a really good career path.

Also no one cares about your degree at all. They want you to be the kind of person who gets #### done. They want you to be likable but not a massive people pleaser because people pleasers tend to be really bad at giving people bad news, and in this business bad news does not age well. They want to hear about you being a hard worker. Being a truck driver for 6 years is a good sign for that if nothing else. If I were them I'd be trying to figure out exactly how introverted you are (because you made it so long as a truck driver), and figuring out if you'll be able to pick up the phone a hundred+ times a day without losing your mind.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.