Been thinking about getting my Class A for awhile now. Need info. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by chrismcallister34, Aug 18, 2022.

1. chrismcallister34

chrismcallister34 Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2022
    I would be going private myself, but they're all back up at least 6 or 7 months at least, some are a year. The one's that aren't, I'd have to pay out of pocket, and I ain't got that kind of money right now. Classes are full at my local community college for at least 1 full year. And WIOA and workforce grants are backed up at least 7 months. And I'm needing this now. Hence why I'm going the mega route. I've already gotten my TWIC card, I just finished my HAZMAT ELDT Theory course so that I can take my endorsement test when I go to get my permit. I'm going get my physical done next week then I'll be taking my permit exam probably end of next along with all of my endorsement tests so I'll have all of those. Then I'll be good to go. :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    It may depend on the state, but you may not be able to take hazmat until you have your CDL. It was that way in Texas when I got mine. Schneider provides the hazmat ELDT course to their drivers for free. I think you’ll do well here. I’m less than a month away from one year here and I’ve really enjoyed it with no significant complaints. Sure, you can make more elsewhere, but I’m now at .50/mi and will get another small bump soon when I reach 1yr, so it’s not even that terrible.

4. chrismcallister34

chrismcallister34 Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2022
    That's great news. And I'm not too concerned about pay in my first year or two. I'm in it to gain experience and knowledge. As long as I make enough to live off of, pay my bills, be able to put a little back, and have a little bit of spending money, I'm happy. I'm pretty frugal, and don't make any frivolous or impulse purchases. I only purchase something if I absolutely need it. I'm in Texas as well. I'm gonna be going to take my permit test either the end of next week or the beginning of the following week and I'll see then if they let me take my Hazmat endorsement. If not, then that's fine. I only paid $25 for my course. But my name is in the registry for when I do go to take it. How much was your HME?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.