Been thinking about getting my Class A for awhile now. Need info. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by chrismcallister34, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Geekonthestreet

Geekonthestreet Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2021
    Chicago
    Oh well then I’d say pick your poison. Teach yourself or pick a mega. Both are difficult. The megas are pretty similar.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chrismcallister34

chrismcallister34 Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2022
    I'm probably just gonna bite the bullet and go with a mega for a year or two, maybe three, just to get my tractor-trailer experience in and then move to a better company that actually treats me like a human being and not like a number. I've already got my TWIC card, and will be going and getting my DOT physical and medical card sometime next week or so. In the meantime, I'm probably gonna be taking an online ELDT theory course for HAZMAT so I can go ahead and get my HME and take the hazmat endorsement test along with all of the other endorsements when I go to get my CLP.

4. Geekonthestreet

Jun 27, 2021
    Chicago
    Just do a year at a mega and the next two somewhere else. You won’t lose out on jobs.

5. chrismcallister34

Aug 15, 2022
    Roger. Appreciate the info brother.

6. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia

@chrismcallister34 --

If starting out at a "mega" is your thinking...after you get those earlier-discussed credentials, you might also give my old alma mater Schneider a try, too.

I've noticed that Schneider seems to have more job fairs/hiring events than pretty much anyone else in the industry.

This could later prove to be an open door for you--where others might not be.

Speaking from experience--running with a really "big dog" like Schneider does indeed have its advantages...

1) You will quickly learn to appreciate (especially as newer driver) Schneider's many locations for terminals and droplots. This is especially true if/when they run you up in the northeast, where CDL parking options are critically short.

2) As we enter into what appears to be another recession--Schneider will very likely have the freight to keep you moving, when others might not. In the last recession, the group I was in actually started hiring--while drivers employed at other carriers were getting laid off, and/or spent time sitting idle.

3) Don't like where you started with Schneider? After 6 months of satisfactory work, you can transfer to a different division, and try a different type of freight--all without the usual hassles of changing employers. I switched from dry van, over to intermodal--which proved later to be a good move (but I certainly don't recommend you start out in intermodal--get several months of dry van experience, first). Schneider now is even doing flatbed/connestoga loads. With Schneider--you can "sample" just about every type of major freight there is (no carhauling, however).

4) This one gets overlooked a lot by the mega-bashers: if you do cause an accident, or othewise do something stupid--your odds of being fired are a lot less, at least in some cases. A "big dog" like Schneider is pretty much self-insured, and they can write a check for a new hood (or whatever) much easier than the smaller carriers. With a smaller carrier--they can get a check from their insurer--but then they will likely have to fire you. As a beginning driver--this is something to consider, especially if your driving history is less than perfect.

5) Another one you should know about: like Swift, and some of the other major players--Schneider will NOT expect you to keep driving if the weather/road conditions are getting bad. Instead--park it! They are pretty up front with this one, too. Ditto for Swift. Not sure about the other major carriers...but probably so, as well.

6) This one is basically my own opinion....others here may agree with me (or not :p)....if/when you do leave Schneider for another job with another carrier--I think the Schneider name carries with it more respect and/or recognition than some of the others mentioned in this thread....like Pam, CRST, CR England, or Western Express. How bad can it really be.....if I later scored a fuel-hauling gig with it? :cool::D

Hope this helps...

--Lual

Geekonthestreet Thanks this.
  7. Geekonthestreet

Jun 27, 2021
    Chicago
    I am of the same opinion. It sucked but 12 months at schneider will get you into most places and will give you the learning experience to run legal and profitable. That is more than a lot of places offer.

8. chrismcallister34

Aug 15, 2022
    Thanks for the information Lual. Schneider is actually the company I'm looking to go after first. I'm really big on safety. That's one thing that I like about them over any of the others. I don't mind driving in the Northeast/ NE area as long as I'm given the proper amount of winter driving training especially with the snowy/winter season coming up on us. But I don't want to be driving into NJ or NYC. I don't know if Schneider will route me or assign me a NYC/NJ load or not, but I don't think that's a very good situation for a green horn to be in. And the only reason I'm choosing a mega is because my girlfriend and I are probably going to be doing team OTR. I don't know if she'll stay in the business once her contract is up or not, though. But she said that she'll stick it out for at least a year. Me, I've always had a passion for driving, tractor-trailers, pulling trailers and hauling stuff, etc. I've just never really got into the business and took the plunge until now. I don't mind being out for long periods of time. I was in the Army, and did almost 2 years in South Korea. I only came home one time for 2 weeks, so I'm used to being away. Plus going OTR with a mega, it will give me experience if I wanna go in a different route in the trucking world such as the oilfield which requires 6 months to a year of OTR exp.

9. BlueThunderr

BlueThunderr Medium Load Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Ya I agree..1 year at the mega and then move on...You'll be better off in pay and other driver-friendly benefits

chrismcallister34 Thanks this.
  10. chrismcallister34

Aug 15, 2022
    Yep, that's the plan. I've been looking at GP Transco a lot as one I might go after after I've put in my 1 year. But who knows, a year is a long time and I'm sure I'll find more companies. Now I'm just focused on getting my DOT Med card then my permit, and then hired on to a company. I've already got my TWIC card so that's one thing down.

11. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @chrismcallister34 --

For now (& no disrespect intended)....forget about GP Transco.

The last I checked...and someone else said so elsewhere here on the Forum.....that they wanted AT LEAST 3 YEARS driving experience.

In the meantime--you may well find yet another opportunity/carrier that you like even better.

Instead--you need to be focused on getting in the door......and proving yourself....with Schneider, Swift, or....etc.

Stay with your first carrier AT LEAST a year. Longer is even better. If the carrier has more than one type of freight--sample/try something else while you're there.

Later on....you'll be glad you did....:D :thumbup:

--Lual

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.