Before I commit, what would the Seattle area be like for an O/O home base?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by seamutt, Jun 15, 2021.

1. RocketScott

RocketScott Medium Load Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Kentucky
    I prefer to work for myself in stead of the government...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Solo Soul

Solo Soul Medium Load Member

Jun 9, 2021
    On top of a hill
    I live in Seattle. It is very expensive. I am planning to buy a house in Montana after I become a seasoned truck driver.

4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    If ur gonna run seattle. Ur gonna have to run north and south to make it worth your time. Eastbound loads out of their dont even cover break even costs. La to seattle/portland is about all their is if ur on ur own authority. Even then ur competing with all the mega fleets running that lane,so ur just gonna get their leftovers.

Id highly recommend finding a good small owner op outfit that runs a maxi setup, and lease on with them, as they are going to have the best access to local/direct freight in the pnw region. This will require extensive research but there is some really really good companies out that way that are not well known and can make very good money.

LilRedRidingHood and Cat sdp Thank this.
  5. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    That's nice. I'll take the extra money and the pride of patriotism....

Solo Soul Thanks this.
  6. RocketScott

Apr 10, 2013
    Kentucky
    You're taking extra money by giving more of it to the government?

I should talk to your accountant

7. seamutt

seamutt Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2021
    This is what I was worried about. That there is not really going to be a viable market for constant medium haul loads that will get me home every other day (like it seems there can be in the SE US). But that the basic bread and butter runs would only be to southern California - which is a ways. I also did read someone somewhere else mention that Denver/SLC, to the east - a long run as well - was not a great "lane". And I guessed that Spokane/Missoula/Boise etc. was probably going to be a bust. Likely very few loads going back home from there?

BTW, I should have said dry van. It makes my old bones ache just thinking about tarp'ing up a flat bed. And reefer doesn't enthuse me either.

Sorry, I realized after I wrote my post that I was being a little nasty. But please understand that I'm also facing the infuriating fact that I don't think anyone is going to hire my wrinkled 60 year old butt, even if I was willing to work full time for them (which I'm not). And that my perhaps thousand hours of diligently practicing/playing American Truck Sim over the last 4 years is likely going to count for jack #### in the experience department - especially with you guys (and the insurance companies). Although I really still do believe that after completing a good CDL school, I'm not likely to be killing anyone or seriously pranging up my truck.

Oh dear lord. That's $36k a year? My expense projections were based on $20k/yr for insurance for the first two years. Although I was going to self insure my truck and trailer (I planned to pay cash for these).

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    slow.rider Thanks this.
  8. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    Nope, I make more by running where the money is, and chalk up the extra taxes as cost of doing business.

Example:
    Guy #1 brings in 70k running the boonies and pays "no" taxes on it.

Guy #2 brings in 100k running the big cities but pays an extra 10% in taxes on it.

If you need an accountant to help you figure out which one ends up with more money, then maybe you should stick to being a company driver.

;)

dwells40 Thanks this.
  9. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    If you just want to stay in Washington/Oregon/Idaho, your best bet might be finding some regular accounts. There is some shorter spot market runs in that area, and some of them pay pretty decent per mile, but there might be a lot of empty miles in between. When I would get out that way I would always try to mix in a couple of those nice fat shorties if I could before leaving, but sometimes they just don't line up right.

10. RocketScott

Apr 10, 2013
    Kentucky
    Gotcha. Wasn't sure how a guy in NYC knew all about the costs of living here in the PNW but you clearly have it figured out

Truck on my friend

11. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    Portland cost of living rank: 15th
    Seattle cost of living rank: 8th
    New York City cost of living rank: 1st

America: Cost of Living Index by City 2020

:cool:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.