Being an Owner Operator vs. City Unionized Driver

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by NorthEastTrucker, Sep 21, 2019.

1. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    So you wouldn't mind the morning, afternoon or night rat race of traffic driving your car to work oppose walking up in your truck already at work knowing your stops? Plus you don't have to get called into your Management every other day for them trying to write you up for some nonsense so they can justify their job as a manager but they need to harass you?

Derailed and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NorthEastTrucker

Sep 21, 2019
    Was it worth it?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Dude, stop trying to justify your want to move to something that we - experienced drivers/owners - think you will regret.

You think all of that crap doesn't happen on this side of the fence?

It does and worst.

Try getting fired 2000 miles from home with your crap thrown out of the truck at a truck stop.

Talk about traffic, I used to do a number of loads that went up to Connecticut, I always got a load out of Philiy Friday afternoon and always hit that outbound NYC traffic. You want to talk about traffic, that was bad.

Just an FYI, the failure rate as an owner is over 85%.

You have protection, seniority and a pension, keep doing what you are doing, retire and get an rv to see the country.

TTNJ and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Sounds like you have about the easiest job in trucking. If you get paid more than minimum wage, you should definitely stick with it.

6. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I see your question backward to the way that you asked it. If I understand you you're not asking whether an owner operator would switch with a senior Union driver, you're asking if a senior Union driver would switch with an owner operator.

Decisions like you are contemplating are really about risk and reward. For you to leave your position to become an owner operator there is much greater risk than reward.

If you are a senior driver and you are less than 10 years from retirement, and you will get a full pension, and you are making around $80,000 a year, as far as risk and reward it is better for you to stay where you are.

This is assuming that you can deal with whatever crappy trucks you have to drive, whatever crappy management scrutinizes you, whatever crappy customers you deliver to or crappy routes that you do. As long as you can deal with that you're in a really good place.

You asked about gross earnings but really it's about the net. There are owner-operators that make well over a hundred thousand, but most are probably making what you are making or less without the benefits or the pension, with a lot of work and headaches.

Now if you are someone that has always wanted to run your own business and you hate where you are and your stomach is in knots everyday and you don't know how you can continue, then you'll have to think about what to do.

But as long as you can handle what is going on where you are, the grass is not greener.

starmac and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    My last company was Cali. Twice a week. That's all his trucks do. With an occasional Phx. Or OR/WA

8. NorthEastTrucker

Sep 21, 2019
    You've made some good points. Thx btw sorry to hear that you got fired whiles at a Truck stop. It kinda reminds me of when I stuck in a TA stop in Canton, OH for 3 days in '1999 with only $50/day layover pay for a Trucking company that went under now. I quit and got a local job because of my frustration back then.

9. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    It Definitely was for me, but I still wouldn’t try to talk anyone in to leaving a good job they like. The reason being is that two people can do exactly the same thing and get different results.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    dwells40 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  10. NorthEastTrucker

Sep 21, 2019
    You both made good points. I still have around 17 years left (If I stick it out with being slightly lower on the company driver seniority list) before retirement. I just feel that with the Majority of Drivers retiring because in todays Trucking the last generation of Babyboomers seem to be the Majority of truckers there's a greater demand now pushing the pay rates higher than ever overall occurring to job ads. Most Unionized Drivers are being capped or have lower union Agreements because most of these Corporate companies are leaning towards using Brokers for even their local work. This is causing lots of animosity amongst unionized drivers and companies. I appreciate your honest advice.

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I was not the one fired and left at a truck stop, I used that as an example, but I have fired people and left them where they were, this resulted from one or another very serious legal issue, the last had to do with a hitchhiker and drugs.

But that said ... even if I had 17 years left, I would not move.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.