Bellefonte PA mine run..tandem straights only...don't do it!

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Mattflat362, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    So I get a call from Landstar and I'm like sure I haven't run for you guys in a while...send it over.

Long story short... it turns out it is is Trilogy...a agent of Landstar. Once I get past all of the bad contact/pick up/delivery info I say OK good to go....and I roll.

So when you get to the place in South Point, Ohio ....to load the cable bolts.....they drop them everywhere because they have improper equipment for loading giant strands of limp cable with bolts on the end. (picture trying to load wet noodles with a regular forklift). It could have been much worse had they hit my Pete.

So no biggie I get loaded and secure the MESS of a load. I roll to the mine. Now at this point, I had assumed that a mine would have their own mine flatbeds for going down in to the mine.

As you have probably guessed they did not.

"Why, whats the problem driver? All trucks have to go down. You will need to get mine trained too."

At this point I am there, and have never been in a mine, so I get r done and head down 1500 feet at a 15% grade for 1 mile....with 26k on my back. Needless to say this takes a lot of time. Once I got in to my spot....a (literally) CRAZY cave dwelling red neck loud mouth unloaded me as violently as I had been loaded (way worse actually). This dude had no skin color and was as nuts as they come man!!!

It was cool to do once. I was supposed to have another one Monday. I called the broker and doubled the price to 3200. She laughed and I said I pray they say no....and even if they say yes I am not going back.

As soon as I pulled out of the mine I could see my truck was covered in limestone dust....and even the inside was a mess. I headed right to the hurricane truck wash at exit 78 on I80. We had to wash it twice AND I power washed the crap out of it at home yesterday.

I hope the few tandem flatbed guys in here see this. Probably good money and runs if you want them but you better have a crappy international POS that you don't plan on keeping.

They guys in the mine said air filters last a few days....brakes a few weeks.

They also showed me a pic of a crushed pick up truck from just 1 little piece of roof that fell and hit it.

NO THANKS!!!! 0217170939-00.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

But it is a cool story that not everybody can tell

4. Mattflat362

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    And I have that pic for my kids...who play minecraft waay to much!!

G13Tomcat, snowman_w900 and Ruthless Thank this.
  5. Ruthless

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Send it to me: I'm in the same predicament lol

Or is the one posted all that you took?

Logan76 and snowman_w900 Thank this.
  6. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    Many limestone mines are high ceiling and are safe to drive in and out of, they run haul trucks that are usually tandem dumps.

I worked in one for only a couple of months years ago.

atleast you have a cool story.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    Ruthless Thanks this.
  7. Mattflat362

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Yea that was the only one that came out....it was dark and dusty down there.

Plus, once I got through that opening and saw the first friggin drop I was like bye bye phone!! LOL. It reminded me of my first time on a big roller coaster hill briefly....and then I was like stop thinking about &*%#*&%^ roller coaster idiot and drive! Honestly, it was nuts. It was big though...no doubt. Heck I have seen much smaller stuff in the Bronyx!

I honestly would do it all the time....if I had a dedicated run and I bought a new throw away tandem flatbed.

8. Ruthless

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    I got one with a moffet I'll let you have for $30k

9. Chewy352

Chewy352 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Enid, OK
    I got a cool story about driving in a cave. Picked up a load of cheese in the caves in Carthage Missouri. Told the wife don't worry no one will know. The wife says but the truck will rock. Told her wait till the first forklift drives on. After that I don't think I can say anymore on here.

10. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Did you think you were going to get a deal from the blue star?

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  11. Mattflat362

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    The Mile Low Club!

snowman_w900, rank, Chewy352 and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.