Belly dump VS Side dump

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by FlyingJ mafia, Mar 16, 2024.

1. FlyingJ mafia

FlyingJ mafia Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2021
    Hey Guys,

I was wondering why so many belly dumps and I never see side dumps in the rock quarries. Is there a specific reason they are used more? Anyone who has pulled both, I would like to hear your opinion on both trailers.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. North Pole Nightmare

North Pole Nightmare Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2021
    If you are hauling to another stockpile a side dump would be better than and end dump,a little more capacity.
    You need a wet kit for the side dump.
    Belly dumps a lot easier to place a controlled amount of material.

FlyingJ mafia Thanks this.
  4. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    A belly dump is a lot less likely to tip over than a side dump or an end dump. But it is more likely to get high-centered, if the driver goes too slow.

5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    In the northeast its end dumps only……never see a side dump or belly dump anywhere

a few larger paving companies are using belt trailers to haul mix tho…..

6. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    I’ve seen a few side dumps up here…

though it wasn’t the way they were designed to unload.

belt trailers are a pretty good/idiot proof set up, I used them when we were hauling rubber and dumping in a building, Palmer paving also has a bunch of them set up for black top

Cat sdp and Last Call Thank this.
  7. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    There a lot of belt trailers around here used a lot for hauling feed ingredients and chip rock and fertilizer maybe it’s the conditions their used IDK but seems like if you pull one very often your gona be working on something with the hydraulics a lot

Cat sdp Thanks this.
  8. REO6205

REO6205 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    We use side dumps a lot for levee work and riparian build ups. If we're hauling rip-rap it's a lot faster and safer than using end dumps. There are a couple of ready-mix plants that we haul for but their rates aren't anything to get excited about. If we're headed past their plant on the way home we'll take them a load. We usually use end dumps on them.
    We use the end dumps mainly for hauling boulders on road jobs and we also use them for demo haul-off. Demo haul-off is where the end dumps really pay off...it's almost all hourly work.

9. Sumtinlidat

Sumtinlidat Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Not sure where you are. But here in Las Vegas it’s a mixture of both. Belly dumps are great for plant and road base dumping but side dumps are quicker when building a grade. Especially because belly dumps are limited to its material being hauled. Anything over a 3 inch minus will get caught under its axles. Side dumps will simply haul anything set in em.

10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    It depends on the region I guess.
    And the material being hauled.

Around me. Side dumps have taken over end dumps mostly. But they can't spread material that great. That for dump trucks and bellies.

Asphalt is dump truck.

Boulders is end dump or dump trucks.

If you plan on hauling heavy. You'll need a pup trailer. Or if your region allows it. Side dumps go up to 7 axles. But they're not cheap.

Course. N. Dakota and Michigan. Look like caterpillars with all their axles. One driver said 160k.

11. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Was amazed to see how many BD were in use in the US when I first started driving over there, the only BD I ever saw in Oz was like a really high looking pneumatic trailers set up without the air pressure to haul refined sugar from the refinery back to the port facilities, with the high sides it was all operated by gravity, they'd open a shute at the bottom and empty it onto a hopper with a convey belt. I just don't get the BD concept for tipping gravel, for grain into hopper yes, but I guess it must work as it would make no sense to use a system that wasn't any good. I operated Road train side tippers called super quads, about 60 m or about 195 ft long basically four 38' long side tipper trailers all hooked up together so you can just imagine the amount of hydraulic hoses required in our set up. Tipping off Iron ore at the port same deal we'd tip into a special hopper that would line up our trailer you'd keep moving forward till the light turned red, and tip when it went green. Move forward repeat the whole process another 3 times. :cool:

Opendeckin Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.