Bendix AD-9 dump valve seems to get stuck on.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Antonovich, May 11, 2019.

1. Antonovich

Antonovich Light Load Member

May 11, 2019
    Took off the air purge valve. Is it supposed to have oil in it? 20190512_100229.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Antonovich

May 11, 2019
    Hmm...I think I may have actually fixed it. Maybe temporarily, but it's holding for now at least. I took off the air purge valve. Cleaned the gunk oil from it and from the inside of the actual filter, where the air purge valve goes into. Cleaned the three O rings. So far it's holding.

I can definitely hear the air purging every once in a while, but it purges and the valve closes right away.

Also ordered a new air dryer off eBay. Cheapass eBay parts hooray! $108.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I agree, you start bypassing stuff and not fixing it properly, you are starting off on the wrong foot and are no better than these crappy outfits that don't repair their trucks. On my older trucks, especially my '72 Pete in the avatar, EVERYTHING worked, but I'm that kind of guy.

5. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    You can disconnect the dryer, replace it later, just remember to drian your air daily.

6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Mmm-hmm, do you have any idea how many outfits I worked for with that attitude? "Just run it this one time, we'll fix it later, now get going,,":biggrin_25516:

Intothesunset and roshea Thank this.
  7. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Hes an owner op with a million mile truck. This time of year a air dryer is no big deal, by the looks of it it needs to be replaced and there is a difference between needs it now to be safe and you can pick one up when you have the funds and still run safe. An air dryer is certainly a convenience, but not a necessity, for year I drained my air daily , no big deal. even a company truck could drop the air line off the dryer till he got into the yard, no big deal. Its not like I told him to t-bolt his brakes

Intothesunset and Antonovich Thank this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    You probably fixed it. Buy some tools, your gonna need them, along with spare hoses, belts, assorted brass fittings,including quick connects, and some 2-3 ft assortment of plastic air lines. Better to be prepared than pay a tow bill.Good Luck, I see a lot of learning about mechanical issues in your future. Don’t let it break the bank.

Antonovich and Powder Joints Thank this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    The oil is from the compressor, a little bit is normal, but once they’re wore out they’ll push a lot of oil. You’ll see it when tanks are drained. I’d put the air dryer under the bunk for now, if the old one works. Put it on before winter, but I’m a cheapskate though.

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Especially since you may be needing a compressor soon. No need to ruin new filter on new drier

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  11. Antonovich

May 11, 2019
    So I just drove about 70 miles. So far it's holding just fine. As I said before, I've ordered a new air dryer. When I get back NYC, I'll have my mechanic look over the truck and we'll fix what needs fixing.

I'm actually enjoying this. Learning about the mechanical aspect of the truck and how to fix it. I enjoy working with my hands, so whatever I can physically fix, I'll fix.

Thank you all for the support. I still have lots to learn and I'm sure I'll have more questions about other things.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.