Benefits and Taxes on the road

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Dieselpriest, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Dieselpriest

Dieselpriest Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Washougal, WA
    I drove for a company 12 years ago, I started right after my Son passed away from complications to cancer. Looking back I wasn't in the right frame of mind to be driving commercially so I quit shortly after I started. On a happier note I am in the midst of orientation with May Trucking in Salem OR. I'm super excited and thankful to have new oppertunities. So down to my question's. Benefits & Taxes: I want to cover my wife and Two daughters one which lives outside the home. She has her own job but has no benefits if I include her can I claim her on my taxes? She does not live with us anymore. Would appreciate any advice and input. Also, this perdium thing with taxes. Is it good thing? Pros & cons..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    might have to check...think they have to be <21 and living at home.

4. Trucail

Trucail Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    For you to claim someone they have to be living with you for over 6 months of the year, and the other person cannot claim them.

5. Dieselpriest

Jan 29, 2013
    Washougal, WA
    Awesome thanks, that's what I thought but I wasn't sure... What about the perdiem thing, do you find this beneficial or is it better to just keep receipts

6. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Just type in "per diem" in the search box at the top of the thread, there's all kinds of feedback on the subject.

7. Dieselpriest

Jan 29, 2013
    Washougal, WA
    Sweet thanks, new to truckers report learning how to use it effectively..

8. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
  9. motofish

motofish Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Monroe, NC
    You can claim someone until there 26, and I believe they have to live with you. My daughter lives with me and she's 23. I have full medical, dental and vision on her. Had to provide proof of her age to BCBS. Seems like if you had a kid in college it would be the same. Ask the people at May Trucking, they could check for you. Welcome back to trucking!

10. lexmark

lexmark Medium Load Member

Dec 18, 2008
    With my insurance, I have to verify every year that my daughter, who is over 21, is still a student in order for her to be covered.

11. Mousemaker

Mousemaker Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Denver
    I thought it was part of Obamacare that your family insurance covered until age 26 whether they were a student or not. I could be wrong. I'd better find out, because my daughter dropped out of college, but is still living with us. And another daughter got an apartment, but is still enrolled.
    As far as taxes, you have to provide majority of financial support to claim as dependent. I don't think they have to live with you, because you can claim child who lives with ex spouse or is away at college as long as you financially support them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.