Benson 53’x102”

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Jasonar15, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Jasonar15

Jasonar15 Medium Load Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Few pics

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Cool, the cam lock doors are nice. I have one step with them, the other does not. Wish both had it. I do have front lift axles on everything but the reefer. Your guy at the dealer is correct, they do not lift very high off the ground. I think it's a preference thing, personally I like having them. I use it all the time when empty. I also really like having them here in the northeast bc it does save me a couple hundred per week in toll money.

Ruthless is a flatbed guy, and he is pretty up to date on the various options that are out there. He knows about some new trailer options I didn't even know existed.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  4. Jasonar15

Aug 6, 2017
    Is yours the retrofit lift or factory?

5. Largecar359

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    I have both, and both lift to identical heights. The retrofit is the same as my factory lift, it is a bolt on set-up not welded. It is a little bit more money for this set-up. However, the bolt on gives you an extra inch in ride height which is a big difference. It keeps it high enough so you don't scuff going down hwy. My axles are wrapped in stainless with lights recessed in them. The stainless axles cover sheets use the same bolt holes as the axle lift, so kinda a duel purpose thing. I will try to find a pic so you can see.
    The box that controls the lift is also the on-board weight system. So you can either manually lift the axle or electronically from the cab.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  6. Jasonar15

Aug 6, 2017
    The lift system is $1500 installed, also a bolt on system. I will go with manual lift only. Don’t want driver accidentally lifting while loaded. The gig I have is we do a lot of drop hook and few different drivers will pull trailers. Only the more experienced get to pull the all aluminum tho. The younger gets the old steel or combos.

7. Largecar359

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    IMG_3061.JPG

Sorry this is the best pic that I could find that shows how they bolt up.
    If you look on the side of the cover sheets, you can see the the chrome caps I have on the 3/4 bolts. Those bolts on the front axle are what is used for mounting the lift. The bags sit behind the flap so you don't see them. This is for the Hendrickson set-up. I'm sure there are other brands, but I've only worked with these.

8. Largecar359

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Is the 1500$ for the on-board scale as well? They tie into the same valve, I just have the liquid gauge cheaper version, but it is very accurate.
    If you are having others pull your new wagon then I understand why you would just want the manual lift. I don't let anyone pull my stuff either. One I don't have the money to fix damages, two they are not legal and I don't need them getting impounded under someone else.

9. Jasonar15

Aug 6, 2017
    Just for lift. No scale. I don’t like idea of others either but that’s how we got it set to maximize cash flow.

10. Largecar359

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    I hear ya, are you picking up soon? I don't know if you pull the same freight all the time or pull different freight but that scale was like 250$. Not a bad thing to have when the customer says the load weighs 40,000 and you can see right in his parking lot that it weighs more like 45,000. Nice to be able to negotiate before you even pull out, instead of taking the load and finding out 2 hrs later when you weigh it.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  11. Jasonar15

Aug 6, 2017
    We pull mostly same freight now. Was using a broker and he was really getting us on prices. Now got some direct that want 100 loads a week. I’m putting on two more trucks next month. That’s why the new trailer is needed and allows me to get the 60’ loads that was going to a broker. Dealer said January 15th is when trailer will be delivered and I will go get. Just deciding what I want to add. He throwing in the rear dump and extra winches. Probably going to do lift from what you have said and will ask him about scale also.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.