Benson 53’x102”

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Jasonar15, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Good luck to you with it, sounds like you'll be putting it to good use. Just my opinion, but if your thinking about getting the lift then do it before you pick it up. It's always difficult to down a new piece of equipment especially if you need it out working everyday, which it sounds like you do. Enjoy it. Happy new year, be safe.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jasonar15

Jasonar15 Medium Load Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Yeah think I will have them add it. Thanks for your input and help.

4. Hsauer87

Hsauer87 Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Parkton , North Carolina

Usually if you have to much over that back axle it will throw your weights off, from my experience. But i agree its better to thave the space and not use it , then need it and not have it! Isnt there also permiting issues with the 53 foot spread axle in Florida if i remember correct?

5. Jasonar15

Aug 6, 2017
    You are correct and someone might know more than I but from what I’ve gathered that’s why the back axle is set forward from rear to meet the length? Not exactly sure tho

6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

With a fully loaded trailer,.. in order to throw your weight off you would need to be over weight on the spreads. Only an idiot would do this.

And with an empty trailer,.. and all of the loaded weight on the rear behind the rear axle? I ask why? Again,.. only an idiot would do this.

Exactly what kind of experience do you have?

Hurst

7. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    The rear axles on a 53' spread axle trailer come in various configurations. Some will come with a sliding rear axle in order to meet bridge law requirements in certain states. How ever,.. you can not scale the same weight on the rear while the axles are in tandem vs when they are spread. The spread is a fixed length,. usually 10'2,.. but not always. Where its positioned on the trailer depends on how the trailer was ordered.

Then there are fixed spread axles,.. some are set in order to meet bridge laws,.. others are not. It depends on how they were spec'd for the owners requirements.

Weight is weight,.. a driver should know the weight of his load and always be in control of where and how it is loaded on his trailer in order to balance out his load. This is why I prefer open deck. I am in control of how I am loaded. The safety of my load and trailer depend on my ability to see it loaded correctly. Many many loads will take up the entire length of the trailer,.. from front to rear. Some loads will even extend both the front and rear of the trailer.

When a Van or Reefer needs to slide the rear axle up in order to scale out the load legally,.. there will generally be product behind the rear axle. This does not unbalance the trailer. If it does,.. then it the axle has not been set correctly.

Hurst

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  8. Hsauer87

Jun 15, 2012
    Parkton , North Carolina
    I have been moving flats around for over 5 years, and with the stuff i haul i have never needed a 53 foot trailer, and i do not see to many loads that really require it, unless you are doing something a little more specialized.

9. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

With most 48's that I have seen the rear axle is basically to the end of the trailer. Just curious,.. but how do you have experience with putting weight behind the rear axle?

As for me and my 53' steps. I do spot market mainly. Nothing specialized per say. There are loads I do that work better with 53's than they do on a 48'. And then of course,.. loads like trailers, warehouse racks, Insulation panels, loads with misc crap, that specifically request for a 53' trailer.

Pics may help explain better.
    The following loads work best with a 53' trailer. Some of them can not be done on a 48'.

4 skid steers and a mini excavator. 5 units in total. (Look) Last unit is behind the rear axle.
    [​IMG]

This is a Genie S-125. It can not be loaded on a 48' trailer with legal axle weight with out the basket over hanging. Being the basket needs to be secured,.. this is not advised to be done with a 48'.
    [​IMG]

55' steel tubing with no rear over hang.
    [​IMG]

Trailers,.. unless you have 4 - 5 feet to spare in front of the trailer,.. this should not be done on a 48'.
    [​IMG]

Nothing special here. Just a load taking up 53' of deck space.
    [​IMG]

This is one I enjoy showing because this is actually 2 different loads that I put together,.. and even with a 53' it had over hang on the rear. Booked a load of pipe with misc pieces,.. then saw a coil that was 5 mi from where the pipe was being picked up at so I booked it too. Went after the coil first. Knowing that the pipe sections would be 20 ft,.. I set the 21k coil so that I would have room in front for the pipe,.. knowing the other bundles would have to over hang off the rear.
    [​IMG]

This is why I will buy nothing but 53's. Better to have and not need.

Hurst

10. Hsauer87

Jun 15, 2012
    Parkton , North Carolina

The pics were a great help! I have pulled 53 footers b4 and never had a use for them , but i am usually hauling general building materials , coils, stick and bricks, shingles and wallboard, so the 53 footer would never get full use. but that is for my operation. you prove a valid point and nice go maximizing your revenue with the mixed load!

11. Jasonar15

Aug 6, 2017
    Another question. Found the Benson for $35,000 and is the 624 model. So that 62k pounds in 4’. Or would would you buy a Mac road warrior for about $32k but has less options and weight capacity, But is a Mac.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.