Best Antenna for Ford F 150

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by rcaldw, Oct 25, 2018.

1. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Gm is way behind the 8 ball compared to ford and ram..Ford eco boost blows away the ram in all aspects but if you sneeze and pop a booger then your into a big $$ bill cause of all that soft metal..Plus i hear a for before i see then with electronic noise in my radio..
    Re ant placement,get it off the box cause there is some ground plain but not enough plus its now makeing your ant directional..
    Mag mount it on the roof center and a 4 ft will be fine but height is mite...Now if you wanna run a tall ant then you will need a tri mag or a puck mount(drilling in the roof)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    If you can't aFord it, Dodge it...
    They (GM) still ride/handle like a Cadillac.

I agree with the mag mount.

4. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Not sure about gm but ford has leaf spring and shock and ram has just shock..My ram is not a work toy anyways.. 20160501_191715.jpg

5. rcaldw

rcaldw Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2018
    Do they make mag mounts that I can screw the coaxial into? I don't want to have to re-run the cable. I'd like to be able to simply unscrew the cable from the existing antenna and attach it to the mag mount.

6. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    I'm sure with the proper connectors to tie the coax ends together, any mag-mount antenna could work.

But, if the roof is aluminum, the mag mount wouldn't do too good.

7. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    How quickly can you get to New Mexico? You won’t even need an antenna if the right tech gets ahold of it.

Slowmover1 Thanks this.
  8. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Sssh, he’s a Ford owner. One day riding the short bus to school, and the next he’s drinking blue koolaid.

9. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    OP, the best mounts are by BREEDLOVE MACHINE.

The best tech articles to read are by Allen Applegate at www.k0bg.com.

Roof center is ideal. All else is downhill. How far downhill to stop is the point of some education. Read, read.

While you’re learning, stop over at West Marine and pick up some 10-2 ANCOR Duplex wiring to run power to the battery & frame. Use their flame-resistant split-loom wire covering. Their heat-shrink connectors and terminations. Etc

Blue Sea fuses (per Allen) and an Anderson PowerPole disconnect in the interior.

Take the time to do it right. Make notes. Quality tools, not Harbor Freight. Alan has many suggestions.

Same for the coax. RG8 as a minimum. Some here use LMR-240. Trying to let no detail slip past and degrade performance.

A dedicated toolbox is the first step. To keep tools like an SWR/Field Strength Meter.

And so forth.

Over time many of us have quite a collection of gear, tools, supplies. It’s not the radio, per se,

It’s providing the best working environment for the radio

n9emz Thanks this.
  10. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Yea OP you need to go into more detail. F150 isn't enough, what year? If its the aluminum body that makes things more difficult. The old metal ones, mag mount center of the roof is best. I don't know any mag mount where you would could screw coax into it. They usually come with their own wire. I had one on my Nissan truck 20 years ago and with a handi-talkie and a PL259 adapter could do 5 miles every evening. SWR was below 1.2:1 on all channels.

11. rcaldw

rcaldw Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2018
    2014 Texas Edition

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.