best brand of semi truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by ChancesRGood, Jun 17, 2018.

1. ChancesRGood

ChancesRGood Light Load Member

May 28, 2017
    what brand did you buy and which one do you wish you had
    I dont know all the brands or their pros and cons so what brands and or models do you think rock
    also if you got a custom cab what did you have done and who did you get to build it

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I'll take a ProStar or LT over the other brands. The only reason I like the International is that the parts are readily available and there are dealers in every cornfield. Also, there is a wealth of information out there on these trucks and how to keep them running. My friends with other brands, are having issues that dwarf mine in regards to the OEM systems. None of them are perfect, they all have their flaws. My only must have would be the Cummins motor, it has been researched, tore apart, the ECM and programing is nearly open source and if done properly, the Cummins and International are just a down right moneymaker. Just learn how to do repairs yourself, as these dealers are to the point of not even being worth going to. So many shops just do not care, trust me I have been down that road to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    There isn't any best, it is all about personal preference.

The important part is the drive train, engine trans rear axle ratio and tires. All the rest isn't packaging.

Custom cab?

I think you mean custom sleeper, I have a few but they are not huge ones. There are a couple companies in Indiana that do the work, one is ict and another is ari, but one to avoid is bolt who builds crap. There are others around the country that also does custom work.

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    The last decent Cummins was the N-14.

Now, we get ceramic plungers and liners that drop out of spec. :rolleyes:

6. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I'm hearing good things about the new X-15. Yes, the fuel pumps still fail, but at least they have isolated them from the motor. And yes, if the motor is lugged, liner failure is still a very real issue. But, the motors are a known quantity, and are easily programmed for better fuel efficiency, unlike the other brands out there, which have a host of issues.

And I agree with your comment on the N-14, and will say the same about the old Series 60 Detroit.

Bean Jr. and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  7. ChancesRGood

May 28, 2017
    I will just mention it is a sleeper cab
    but will keep a avoidance for bolt

8. ChancesRGood

May 28, 2017
    the only experience i have is freightliner
    but are the kenworths, peterbuilt, and others better
    never seen a prostar and what is LT

9. exhausted379

exhausted379 Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2013
    The absolute best truck is one that is in good shape and paid for.

10. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    They are all nice, the LT is the new name for the ProStar. I just like the ProStar for the reasons I mentioned above, parts availability being #1. And their dealer network is incredible, you can find an International dealer just about anywhere when on the road. But, I will add, I do the bulk of my own mechanical work, especially after the crap in frame job from my local International dealer.

That was the service department, I try to avoid those at all cost. But, that still is not a reason for me to trash the brand. Bad service departments are rife throughout this industry, most aren't worth spit, no matter the brand. Where I am I have three international dealers within an hour of the house. Fleet Pride also carries many of these parts too. They are right up the road.

Now, if you are just going to buy a truck and turn them over every three years for a new one, I would get the one that has the best cab for your needs. If you plan on keeping it for well after you pay for it, the International should at least be considered for the reasons I stated above. Are they the best truck out there, no, but that is really subjective. Having owned 8 trucks, they have all been cheapened due to government regulations, and in my mind, they are all junk, especially for what we are having to pay for these rolling abortions. The reason I keep my old ProStar, it is paid for, and I know it inside and out.

If you do buy a truck, know which gear ratios you will need, study the emissions on the motor, study up on the motors, learn where the faults are. Like PACCAR, they are still breaking crank shafts, they have yet to fix that. Detroit has a host of issues, as does Cummins. None are reliable as say the old Detroit Series 60's and or the Cummins N-14. And then the emissions, which does nothing to help the environment, unless you are a dealer selling turbos and EGR Coolers. You honestly have to be up on this stuff or these dealers will take you to the cleaners and back, if not financially bankrupt you.

ChancesRGood Thanks this.
  11. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    AMEN! I was looking at a new ProStar, an LT. No way, not for the price. Nothing against the truck, but the dollar amount. $130,000 is to rich for my blood, not going to do it. A $2,000 a month truck payment is ridiculous! Some guys are paying even more. Then throw in insurance... No, I will take the hits keeping mine on the road, just for the security of knowing that this is my truck, not the banks or the finance companies. When I want to take time off, I can, or God forbid a serious illness, without worrying about making payments.

Komputergod Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.