best brand of semi truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by ChancesRGood, Jun 17, 2018.

1. 4wayflashers

4wayflashers Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Ive never driven one but Ive heard Volvo have the nicest interiors and are the best at making tight turns. From what Ive heard, turning ratio form best to worse is Volvo, Freightliner, Petes/KWs/ etc...

Smut Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Smut

Smut Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2017
    Houston
    The interior is nothing spectacular, but they seem to have more bunk space than the rest. Also, my old company prostar turned better than the volvo but it's a much smoother ride.

4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    The BEST truck depends entirely upon WHAT you expect it to do. With the exception of Macks, most trucks haven't had too many differences besides the cab that gets placed upon the chassis. Same choice of engines. Same choice in transmissions. Same choice in rear ends. With a few exceptions, it was even the same options for suspensions. Granted, these days more manufacturers have their own proprietary engines and sometimes even transmissions.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    International's are just plain ####ing ignorant to work on. Unless it was an older 9900 Eagle you couldn't pay me to take one.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    PeterCars all the way. Look at pics under Rank and WoreOut's avatars......... best of the best imho. I don't have one these days.....but I did for many years.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  7. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    I think the Volvos and Freightliners are a more proven platform . I'm sure you can find ppl to dispute that on here . If I had to but a new truck it would probably be a Volvo 780 .

8. ChancesRGood

ChancesRGood Light Load Member

May 28, 2017
    are there more mechanics for one brand over another is another question... so say frieghtliner, volvo, peterbuilt, kenworths for example

9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Dealership networks for brand-specific parts are a regional thing. For instance, around here I'm never more than 30 minutes or so from a Mack dealer, no matter which direction I'm running. Peterbilt, on the other hand, you're talking an hour South or 2 hours north to chase parts. International is in town, but I couldn't tell you where to find the next one. KW doesn't have any dealerships that I know of within a couple hours.

As for independent shops, if you have a "vendor" drive train (CAT, Cummins, Detroit/Eaton, Merritor) and suspension, most anyone that wrenches on trucks is likely familiar with what you have. If you're running proprietary stuff (Mack, Volvo, Paccar) then it becomes more likely to have to find a dealer, at least for the parts.

ChancesRGood, Bean Jr. and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  10. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Volvo has the features.

11. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    I'll stick to my 'OLD IRON' any day, haha~! Yeah, that's my yard...and Dodge and whatever else shows up in the pic, LoL~!
    [​IMG]

AModelCat and Oldironfan Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.