Best cell phone company for OTR

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by Git_R_Done, Feb 25, 2009.

1. skunkmonkey

skunkmonkey Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2009
    SLC, UT
    Just a warning DO NOT call your wife if you're roaming unless you want a huge phone bill. T-mobile suspends T-T, myFavs, free nights & weekends etc. when you are roaming. You will be charged $0.49 / min. :biggrin_2552:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    The wife has her T-mobile with her mom and isn't likely to change, not to mention buy new phones and stuff. What other options might I have to communicate?
    I'm thinking of just using Magic Jack or Skype. I use Skype every night anyway with my research group, so if I can get WiFi anywhere, it might work.
    Money is beyond tight right now, and will be for a while once I hit the road.

4. Tired old trucker

Tired old trucker Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Salem, MO
    I have Alltel which has been bought out by Verizon, we are waiting to see what is going to happen, I was told that they are going to sell off the area's that they did not want to keep, they will not tell anyone which of those area's it will be, Alltel has been a pretty good company, with good coverage.

5. mandalorekiller

mandalorekiller Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    I used to work at an att call center and know how to lower a bill but they don't have much coverage outwest and have a lot of extra fees that you will have to pay.I'm also looking for a cell company and was thinking about sprint but not sure on what to do since I have virgin mobile

6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    As far as overal coverage goes... particularly out west I cant give Verizon enough praise. Unless I in a valley or in between mountains where absolutely no one would have a signal anyway... I always have a signal with Verizon.

If your looking for cheaper or more affordable coverage, then I dont think you want Verizon. I had Cingular, then went to Nextel and became Sprint. I had Sprint up until June of this year. I was so disgusted with their coverage are and dead zones I went and signed up with Verizon just to see if they were really better. I had both services to compare.

For strictly coverage and quality of service, Verizon is the best hands down. I pay more.. but in my opinion I am getting more.

There is a thread where another member and I are comparing current signals. So far Verizon has the lead.. though he wont openly admit Verizon is better. He is pretty adament about Sprint. I say judge for yourself.

Hurst

7. mandalorekiller

mandalorekiller Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    I don't want to go back to verizon att or even a contract but I may have to since I owe att 1k and verizon 500 and have bad credit but verizon was the best carrier I've had so they are at the top but if you do go with att let me know I can give you the best plans for a driver to have

8. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    He will never admit/say Verizon was better no matter what.

9. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Road Train Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
    Trac Phone/Straight Talk both work well everywhere, no contract, both available at Walmart and the internet. The brand of the phone itself has a lot to do with reception also. Motorola is my personal favorite, but phone reception is more important to me than picture quality/music storage. Straight Talk also allows you to bring your current phone with you, but its not always free, you will have to get a SIM card specific to your existing phone. Some are more expensive than others, just depends on exactly which phone you are talking about.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.