Best cell phone plan for OTR

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by Midnightrider909, Dec 2, 2016.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Why no Youtube? Verizon offers that now.

And I wouldn't say all the others on the 20 gig castration. Sprint never once throttled me with their unlimited on my phone. ATT hasn't throttled me on my hotspot. But I got that on the deal that's no longer offered. With the zte mobley device. I'm not using it anymore since I've switched my sprint phone over to att. But I had that dude almost a year to test the waters before making the switch.

WesternPlains Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

Verizon doesnt throttle the phone data either. I've gone over 100gb with no restrictions in speed at all. But after 20gb of hotspot usage,.. they will #### sure choke you like a jilted lover who just walked in on you.

I've got my work arounds in place. Still very happy with Verizon. Still works everywhere I need it to work.

My main gripe is hotspot data usage. Hopefully that Note 9 does what I want it to do. Wont know for a few more weeks yet.

What will really suck is if everyone and his mother starts doing like I want to do,.. and all the carriers start setting in restrictions.

Hurst

WesternPlains and driverdriver Thank this.
  4. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    I've never used a purpose built hotspot, always tethered from the phone. They'll know either way.

5. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I appreciate the talk. Giving me input. I’m definitely leaving T-Mobile. You don’t want to hear all the details of their incompetence. That’s the way it’s set up. I don’t know that any of them would be better, administratively. I know Verizon isn’t.
    I’m definitely considering tracphone. At least it is less money. I’ll use as much as 6 gb of data in a month. Easily over 3. I’m not sure? I have no problem buying cards at dollar general. Done tracphone before. Customer service was disfunctional, at best.
    I’m not into TV. I am considering att. But the way they all do business. I xwonder that none of them deserve any more money than a tracphone?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  6. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    I'm on Total Wireless. Verizon's towers. I have a few weird spots where I have data but can't place or receive calls, but not many.

I do a ton of hotspot, which isn't officially supported, using PDANet+. And I do mean a ton. Haven't had a single problem.

The biggest selling points to me were Verizon's towers, and the $10 5GB add-on data packs, which can be purchased and used in unlimited numbers. I probably average about $80/month with the base $35 plan and a few data add-ons per month.

7. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I see a need for payphone at places rested at where there is no cell service. Such as South of Casper Wyoming on rte 220. At the rest area.

8. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I would seriously like to see a picture of that TV. It must cover the entire back wall of the truck?
    I’ve got an iPhone 8+. My first smart phone. I’m not crazy about it’s size either. Recently picked up a new MacBook Air. Love it. But I guess I’m just more of a desktop app guy. I hardly ever watch tv.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  9. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    I was with Verizon for over 16 years, but just recently took a gamble and made a switch: Xfinity. They operate off of Verizon towers, so the coverage is comparable. And Xfinity has hotspots practically everywhere. That's assuming you need them, anyway.
    I have an unlimited everything plan, data throttled back after 20 gigs, but I haven't noticed anything yet. I got a new iPhone 8 plus, and I'm only paying about $60/month.

WesternPlains Thanks this.
  10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Comcast has been making the news lately about their unwelcomed open access to their modems for hotspots.

My boy has comcast. Turned his open access off. Granted it's a seperate thing but still. Access is access.

I can't for the likes of me figure out why anyone would want to use a modem that was set up that way.

JReding Thanks this.
  11. Swiss Mountain Dog

Swiss Mountain Dog Medium Load Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Texas
    When we had cable service provided internet, I spent the cash and bought my own modem and routers rather than using theirs. Much more secure and reliable plus no monthly "rental" fee.

We cut the cord a year ago and went with a local internet service and all streaming services for TV at home. Got rid of the cable company entirely. Saves $100 a month and our internet is faster and we're not missing anything on TV that cable provided.

snowwy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.