Best companies for a wannabe trucker?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dariq843, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Jasonstokley

Jasonstokley Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Of all the ones you listed the only two i would even consider working for is Old Dominion and Averitt. Those are the only LTL carriers on the list. You will get the best pay/benefits /hometime package with those companies.

Tonythetruckerdude and orion1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jasonstokley

Jasonstokley Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2012

Tonythetruckerdude and orion1 Thank this.
  4. Yankneck

Yankneck Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Lynchburg, Va
    So Company Sponsored Training isn't highly recommended then if I am understanding correctly. How can I verify that CDS Tractor Trailer Training School is a good school?

orion1 Thanks this.
  5. wolf98

wolf98 Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2013
    bowling green, ky

Contact the company you want to work for and ask them if the accept it. Call the major companies and if they say they dont accept that training then you have your answer

Yankneck and orion1 Thank this.
  6. tallpaulslady

tallpaulslady Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2013
    Tucson,AZ
    Roehl paid for transportation....airplane ticket..and hotel for my fiance 5 months ago to pick up his truck.....Tucson to IN

orion1 Thanks this.
  7. Skinny78

Skinny78 Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2013
    I would have jus went straight to OD without school, they have own cdl program thats free with 1 year contract and 54 cpm starting. With school ...Averitt, pepsi, or Schneider. Averitt you still have training program for a bit at $600 a week to start. Heard Roehl paid ok..Prime also but they have cdl program at $400 a week i think after first couple weeks of advances at around $175 or something like that. After a year or two of driving should look at Tyson foods ,pays good and gets miles ,around 40/41cpm

orion1 Thanks this.
  8. tallpaulslady

tallpaulslady Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2013
    Tucson,AZ
    Roehl has reimbursed his CDL schooling and after 5 months is 40cpm and do happy to say now that he is getting the hang of everything the paychecks are great. We will be married on Oct 20 and I finally can go with him.....lol, 4 week honeymoon in his truck....thus will be an adventure!

9. exhawkeye

exhawkeye Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Forney,TX
    USA Truck
    Werner
    Stevens Transport
    Swift C.R. England
    U.S. Xpress
    CRST.
    I would stay away from them. I consider them bottom feeders. Check out there CSA/SMS score.
    Check out Maverick, I run Temp Control and very happy with them. Worth checking and talking to them

123456 and orion1 Thank this.
  10. Infamousss11

Infamousss11 Light Load Member

Stay away from CRST unless it's your only options
    that's a fact

orion1 Thanks this.
  11. orion1

orion1 Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Hello; I am, orion1
    New to forum, sorry to butt in, Just reading thru the forums looking for info also
    for the best CDL sponsorship that you can get in this Industry as it is, what it is.
    So much to filter thru.
    Infamousss11 ?, What's your turn off where CRST is concerned they are only 8 month contract
    They do seem to have a big turn over in people the first or second day.
    You know start with 40 people first day by the end of day you have 25 left.
    Read some strange stuff.
    Exhawkeye : Yes you are dead on where, U.S.A. Truck, Swift, U.S. Xpress, Stevens, C.R. England, Pam Trans,
    And like you and Infamousss11 CRST not close to the top of list for me.
    How ever ? Where Werner trucking is concerned not so sure they qualify as a total bottom feeder LOL.
    I have to agree with a lot of what Davezilla has to say about Werner that you just can't say on any good day
    about the others.
    Any advise that I can get on any company sponsored training would be great.
    Prime ? well I like and don't like. They are or seem to be one of the better ones in this case.
    They say 1 year but it's really like 1/2 to 2 years before your solo.
    You go out with one trainer and come back and do what ever and then go with 2nd trainer for 3 to 4 months
    30 to 40,000 miles.
    People making a lot of money off of you while you squeak by at 0.12 a mile or 600.00 a week.
    I understand your learning a lot on the road ? If you get lucky and get that right trainer and that goes for any company that you may go with that's one of the great unknowns.

Skinny78 ? What info have you picked up on prime that maybe I have missed or not asked.
    Would you go with them and why ?.

Thank You All For Your Advise.
    Look Forward to Your Response.

orion1

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.