Best company to live in truck full time

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Moto357, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    There's drivers on here, some husband/wife drivers, that live in the truck.
    They're saving lots of money for retirement. Couple of single guys will retire in their 40's and never have to work again.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. John Joel Glanton

John Joel Glanton Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Texas
    Is this legal? I'm not trying to be in any grey area especially with the hazmat and twic. But yes, saving cash on rent for a year or two is appealing.

Moto357 Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    100% legal.

John Joel Glanton and Moto357 Thank this.
  5. Goldenfan

Goldenfan Heavy Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    WI
    Pumkinishere There isn't much out there on Mister P how many miles did you get while there, what's the hometime like and can you stay out longer and bank it? If you don't complete the year what's the payback amount and can you pay for the school upfront so there's no contract obligation if something happens in that year? It looks like the school is called Parnell driving school. What's their hiring area?

pumpkinishere Thanks this.
  6. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    You need time away from the truck to keep your sanity. But I totally get it. After about a year of being out on the road and going home for three days and realizing all the bills you have to maintain that apartment, it starts to not make much sense. That said you need to get out of the truck a few days each month. Rent a nice hotel suite or something. You’ll start to feel like a caged lion after a month with no time out of the truck.

7. John Joel Glanton

John Joel Glanton Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Texas
    With all that money you save on rent you could get a nice airbnb in a new location for a long weekend every month.

Lennythedriver and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    As I posted on another thread I’m actually trying to buy a home right now. But see I have a plan. It’s called Airbnb which I’ve done several times before with great success. Yes I’ll probably only be in my newly purchased home 4 to 6 days a month maximum but I’ll be renting it out on Airbnb while I’m out on the road. I have people who can flip and clean the property in between rentals. I did this before and did exceptionally well with it.
    So that’s a win win for me.

I own a property right now, it’s in a gated type RV resort community. I owned a half acre lot and it has a park model RV on it. No mortgage on that. But even without a mortgage, when you factor in insurance, the HOA dues, the utilities, the property taxes etc, it’s still about $650 a month to maintain the place. If you’re single there’s no reason to have some $1500 a month mortgage when you’re only going to be there a couple days a month. Unless you find a way to create an income with that property when you’re gone like I am.

John Joel Glanton and Chinatown Thank this.
  9. Moto357

Moto357 Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2021
    That was exactly my plan whenever possible! Sure would beat paying $1500/mo for my one bedroom apartment…but also looking for carrier options in terms of terminals with driver amenities, or trucks with APUs/Inverters, letting you take the truck Bob tail close to terminals and such, or if that’s a pipe dream for a rookie.

John Joel Glanton Thanks this.
  10. pumpkinishere

pumpkinishere Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2021
    I went through school there 3 1/2 yrs ago and yes you could pay for the schooling up front so you did not have to stay for the year. Honestly I’m not sure the cost if you pay like that. I do know of a student who almost stayed the whole year but then took a job with someone else and had a crazy remaining balance. Didn't seem like a smart move of their part when they could of stayed a few more weeks and had the balance paid in full. Also, I’m not the best person to ask on the miles situation because when I came out of school me and my husband drove team for them, so I’m thinking we were getting 4300 miles but again we were team. I know we were there 6 days a week and had a 2 hr drive to and from work. So we stayed the year with them actually a little longer until we found a company closer to our home and eventually wound up working with them. I do know they had guys there that live in Tennessee and made the commute.

While I was in school they were working on this new training facility (really nice building) so I’m not sure if the cost is the same as to when I went there or if they raised the prices to pay for the building. Lol.

If you want information on the school I would call mister p and press extension 144 for Alex. Right now is coming up on peak time so I know they always need drivers. If for some reason Alex is not available I would talk to Rodney.

Our complaint is the drive time to and from and since just starting we wasn’t making the best of money but we were making money. They call us every time around this time to see if we want to drive for them again but in march of this year we have bought our own truck and we are working under our own authority.

Hope that helps!

Moto357 Thanks this.
  11. Moto357

Moto357 Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2021
    Definitely looking into them! Thank you!

pumpkinishere Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.