Best energy supplement? For otr

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Travelworld2067, Aug 8, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I took caffeine when I was 21. Boxes of 40 plural in a few hours during the mid afternoon crash waiting for a container without a sleeper berth in Norfolk. In a couple of weeks time I hit a tolerance and it no longer worked and then flipped the mind to sleep while at highway speed. I almost killed some flagmen that day.

That was the end of that. Took a couple of months to get right without any boosters.

What I ended up doing is taking vitamins across the board. The body dumps what it does not consume. There used to be a particular supplier for lack of a better word that featured a small bag of vitamins and so on in a yellow carded packet on the east coast truckstops. That combined with three proper meals and fluids through the day provided the fuel to do the work. Round the clock if need be. But not eat so much as to induce a nap.

If you are tired after 3500 miles, then sleep a couple of days, rest, decompress etc you will probably be ok by the next workweek to get going. Ive done many of those where at the end of a good week, a pile of money and too tired to do anything fun just go to sleep, hydrate and eat. Boom ready to go in a couple of days. It has to be quality sleep in a quiet place. Not for example downtown memphis.

Edit.

Fast forward to today.

What you looking for is close to what I call "Uppers" Amphetamines would be one type. (Spelling) you are getting into where drugs are boosting what you don't have in terms of lost energy against the need to rest.

Most truckers build what I call Stamina over a period of time and they can get up and run when they need to. That's good to have. But ultimately when you start looking to add stuff to your body to force it to function when you really should be resting, then you are robbing yourself.

If you have a friendly doctor willing to incur a small fee and a full blood panel draw of your blood to test, it will come up with particulars where you are short of. Mine is Vitamin B1. I keep a bottle of that next to the desk for difficult days because my current diet does not support adding vitamin B1.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Jet fuel the Flying J. Always in demand. Gives you the ability to hit those triple digits!! #### Red bull!!

4. TheyCallMeDave

TheyCallMeDave Heavy Load Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Tejas
    I hear ya, I absolutely can't sleep in silence. I've done the white noise thing, but what I really like is thunderstorms playing in the background. Does wonders for me.

VIDEODROME and Oldironfan Thank this.
  5. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    Add fire and crickets. For me , or rain on roof.

TheyCallMeDave Thanks this.
  6. Final Drive

Final Drive Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Op
    Get some blood work done could be as simple as ajusting your diet good luck to you..

7. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    Go to bed early. Go to work late.

8. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Get hooked on fishing.

9. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    For cat food?! Or fish sticks?

10. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    There's a lot of difference in 6 hours of sleep and 8 or 9 hours.I "burned out" on the 5 to 7 hours of sleep thing.Sure,you may be OK ...for a week...eventually you're a Zombie.I opt for 8 or 9 hours of sleep.Just have to do it otherwise You become a hazard out there on the road.Just saying

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  11. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Vitamin B-12 Is really great. Experiment with dosage.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted