Best fuel cards with the biggest discount?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by uncommon_belief, Dec 29, 2009.

1. SmokinBoles

SmokinBoles Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Seville, OH
    Which ones have the best rewards?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Coach4Life

Coach4Life Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2016
    We've used TCH for nearly 20 years. Now TCH, EFS, WEX, and who knows who else have all "merged." We got a notice that beginning in Sept 2016 we will be charged a $55.99 "Monthly Account Maintenance Fee" in addition to the individual transaction fees.

I called and spoke with some arrogant young kid who went on a 10 minute sales pitch about all the platforms being merged and how all the new value added programs would help our fleet managers to micro manage our fuel purchases and save us tons of money, after I told him we only had 3 trucks.

I tried again to explain we don't have personnel sitting around playing on their computers and telling drivers where to fuel in order to justify their existence, we run schedules on the same routes and fuel at the same stops and buy our fuel at prices negotiated between me and the vendor. I don't need all the extra crap, I just need a card to pay for fuel, a notification of the amount drafted from our account every day, and quarterly transaction reports for fuel taxes.

The moron launched into his sales pitch again and told me we'd be getting much more value for the additional $55.99 per month and that we'd love it.

Any ideas out there on a simple, cheap fuel card with no monthly fees and low (or no) transaction fees where an American will answer a phone 24/7 if needed and the capability to view transactions online?

nofilter and Steel Dragon Thank this.
  4. coueshunter

coueshunter Heavy Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Umm no, it's still 1.5%

nofilter Thanks this.
  5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I have 3 Chevron/Texaco cards is use, Regular, Business, and Universal(visa), I run locally so I usually fuel in the same places.
    First I get the cash price which is usually .08 to .10 less. Second I get an additional .10 at the end of the cycling period.
    Then what usually happens when I use the same card in regular basis, I will get an email or call from a different card(like the universal, still chevron) and they tell me that they will give me an additional .10 per gallon if I start using the card for the next 3 months.

All in all I switch cards every time the other notifies me to get that additional .10 a gallon to come back, I'm actually saving anywhere from .25 to .30 a gallon from the pump price.
    I pay the card every month in full with NO annual dues. But if your late, they rape you pretty good with interest and law fees.

ChaoSS and nofilter Thank this.
  6. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    I get six percent below cash price with Fleet one. I also get 10 cents refunded from certain companies. There is the $25 charge for not using it which was a shock but I will be using it more. They also have checks for lumpers and the such.

nofilter Thanks this.
  7. veljko09

veljko09 Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2016
    You can not calculate like that, 1.5% is always 1.5%. It doesnt change, but the amount of money is gona change. If you spend 1000$ a week on fuel, that 15$ , 65$ a month. RTS , which is section of fleet one gives discountes on pilot and mr fuel, i think they charge 12$ a month no transaction fees

8. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    I would calculate it over a 12 month period. 1.5% @ 52 weeks would be a annual % rate of 78% However, as was being pointed out you have to pay it off weekly so it is more like sales tax. Ever stop to figure out how much the government gets on that?

nofilter Thanks this.
  9. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I was buying fuel through a major supplier/vendor using there credit card to opt for the discounts. Along came cardlock company and said, we are a major cardlock (CFN) and will beat what your paying with the supplier card (Chevron). He kept calling and calling so I gave in. Well guess what, besides not knowing what the fuel price that day at there cardlock facilities are, when I received the email the next day what the price was, it was $ 0.30 more per gallon than my previous supplier.

nofilter Thanks this.
  10. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    NASTC. Still the best discount I've seen.

nofilter Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.