Best gps for truckers ???

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Adrian _95, Apr 20, 2024.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

You can also get a paid subscription to Trucker Path smartphone app if your phone is on a good network. It cost about $10/month rather than paying $300 -450 for a truck GPS. A PAID subscription to Trucker Path will use truck routing. An unpaid Trucker Path subscription will not guarantee truck routing, it uses car routing.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gridaxe5588

Gridaxe5588 Light Load Member

Nov 23, 2022
    I have 2 in my truck running at the same time, Garmin OTR700 and the Rand McNally TND1050. I've always used the Rands but got a good deal on the Garmin so thought I'd give it a try, let me say thank God I didn't get rid of my Rand, there are a few features on the Garmin that I do like but as for the total package the Rand blows it out of the water. It's way more user friendly for adding stops, no wait for everything and the processor is so much faster it's unreal, that's not just comparing the newer Rand to the older Garmin my old Rands are still way faster. You've got a lot of people that swear by the Garmins but in my honest opinion I don't see why. The only thing I could say I wished that Rand did better would be updates, those don't happen enough I think.

4. Nahbrown

Nahbrown Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Illinois (the sane part)
    After more than 10 years of using Google maps we just couldn’t get used to the graphics and user interface of Garmin and Rand McNally.

We bought a tablet and installed co-pilot, Trucker Path and reference the low bridges pages in our Atlas.

all these tools help us establish a route that I then force into Google Maps with plenty of waypoints so it won’t change our route.

tarmadilo and SoulScream84 Thank this.
  5. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I’m using Trucker Path app on company tablet. I think it’s pretty good. It needs internet access for all the routing and stuff. You can try it free for 7 days then pay $9.99 a month or $99 for 1 year. What I like about is its routes you to the truck entrance. If you pay for it they also throw in the parking predictor with 7 day history.

You can the parking predictor for free but it doesn’t show the history. Other driver using the usually will update the parking at truck stop so you have some idea if any parking will be available when you get there. It’s just Green Yellow or Red for full so it not 100% but it gives you some idea. The 7 say history is good to see. You can see if truck stop Osiris full at 7pm or 10 pm.

6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
  7. JSanborn103

JSanborn103 Medium Load Member

Jan 20, 2021
    The garmin is complete waste of money. Its trash.

8. 2Tap

2Tap Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2022
    Southern Wisconsin
    But yet you offer no alternative. Why post.

I should have clarified Adrian, you need internet connectivity for your cellphone, tablet or other web connected device and not for your GPS. When the Garmin couldn't find a destination i would pull up Google Maps on my cellphone, hone in on the exact location, tap screen to drop a pin, receive the gps coordinates (latitude/longitude) and input those into the gps and get to my destination on a truck suitable route every single time. I ran the upper midwest to Georgia and never had any issues with my Garmin Dezl 710

Now truck routing/rerouting is a whole other beast and i never found a simple way let alone trying to do that while driving as i've seen others tapping away like the bonehead truckers they are in Milwaukee & Chicago.

Nahbrown & Brandt offered great advice. A small tablet would be great for google maps. Trying to discern that on a small phone screen is annoying. Often times i was able to figure out where scales were located at these big industrial properties with the aid of Google Earth/Maps.

Unfortunately none of the web connected devices will do you any good minus a fast/connection and i don't care what carrier, there are plenty.

Adrian _95, tscottme and SoulScream84 Thank this.
  9. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I have been using Copilot app installed on iPad mini for the last 7 years. It uses PC Miller for routing. Way better than Garmin and the $10 per year traffic feature is awesome.
    Granted I only paid $100 for lifetime license, but now it's by subscription I believe.

SoulScream84 Thanks this.
  10. gekko1323

gekko1323 Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    You are playing with fire if you rely on Co-Pilot. I had to cancel my subscription. That thing got me into more jackpots than I care to mention.

11. JSanborn103

JSanborn103 Medium Load Member

Jan 20, 2021
    Why post? So some sorry ### doesnt make the same mistake I did and waste $400 on a slow, useless piece of junk.

I use google maps and check satellite views for the route. Never had a problem doing that the past 5 years.

tarmadilo and 54international Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.