Best gps for truckers ???

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Adrian _95, Apr 20, 2024.

1. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2022
    Sorry but you lost me when you brought snap on into it. Very wasrtfull! Haven't seen a snap on tool that can't be replaced with a tool of equal quality for pennies on the dollar.
    I have had some of the best mechanics in the industry work in my shop and they all changed thier mind about snap on except for one fool that likes to waste his money!

tscottme Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    I'm gonna have to go with 2Tap on this one -- a satellite-based GPS system will produce & maintain a working nav solution when the cellular-dependent systems drop out.

Also -- I'm amazed/surprised at how tough everyone apparently has had it with the Garmins.

My Garmin Dezlcam has been a real trouper for me -- time & time again....:dontknow:

-- L

4. Nahbrown

Nahbrown Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Illinois (the sane part)

Totally agree. We bought a tablet with a GPS antennae. We learned this while sailing- get a tablet that has a GPS antenna and install Navionics software. Then you can use it as a back up navigation system incase you main system has issues or you’re struck by lightning.

5. 54international

54international Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2024
    Rand Mcnally laminated and google maps for local navigation.

Gridaxe5588 Thanks this.
  6. gekko1323

gekko1323 Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    I'm sorry buddy, but if you've been using Google maps for five years problem-free, then you've been lucky. Google doesn't have truck navigation, nor does it show low-clearance bridges. One time in my first year, Google routed me through the Garden State Parkway. I was wondering the whole time, "####, these overpasses are pretty low. And why don't I see any trucks?" Well I got my answer 15 minutes later when a trooper pulled alongside me and hit his siren. I looked over and he motioned for me to get off on the next exit. The next exit was the one that would take me to the GW bridge. Luckily, he didn't give me a ticket. Another time, in Delaware, Google routed me through a tight business district near the University of Delaware. I was rolling along when I noticed that the bridge ahead was kind of low. It was about 10 feet of clearance. So I had to cut through a cemetery in a residential neighborhood to get out of that mess. Talk about keeping an eye on your trailer swing. I was puckered up pretty good winding through those streets.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  7. JSanborn103

JSanborn103 Medium Load Member

Jan 20, 2021
    Luck has nothing to do with it. I dont blindly follow any gps.

drh72, tarmadilo and goga Thank this.
  8. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2022
    I must thank you for not being quiet, owning it and using it to help others!
    Thankfully you learned from it and fortunately don’t have a story about the carnage that well might have happend if it wasn’t for a little luck and getting an officer that must have got some the night beforehand!

tscottme, 2Tap and gekko1323 Thank this.
  9. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    When hauling fuel late at nite & in the wee hours of the morning, I used a combination of the above:

• Rand McNally's trucker atlas (laminated pages version, for making notes)
    • Garmin truck nav gps (5" screen)
    • "Trucker Path" cell phone app
    • Google maps (street/satellite views)
    Depending on the circumstances, I would use any -- or all -- of the above.

The above strategy proved over time to be pretty much bullet-proof. :D

-- L

10. gekko1323

gekko1323 Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    I have the Rand McNally large-scale atlas with the laminated pages. I love that thing. It was pretty expensive but well worth it.

11. cabwrecker

cabwrecker The clutch wrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    Gonna get hate for this, and I really don't care- Google maps.

Back in the day, when we used GoMaps, and MapPoint, these were game changers.
    Google maps was, and still is a killer app for trucking.
    The ability to gauge your turn radius definitively, define overhead if it's a truck route, measure distances with the inbuilt compass, and get street views of bridge height signs, is a massive boost to productivity.

I don't think new guys should use it, because, common sense.
    An experienced driver, with google maps is as likely to run into problems with google maps as they are with any "name brand" GPS.

That idiot box will get you in trouble if you ask it to drive your truck, sure as the day is long, if you trust it with any degree of certainty.

Nothing beats an experienced driver, with good info on what he's trying to do.
    And nothing beats free, combined with good chart keeping, and street view.

That's my two cent.

tarmadilo, goga and tscottme Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.