Best GPS for trucking. Which one do you have/like?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by AIV LLC, Sep 30, 2021.

1. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Couple questions...
    If you just want to look at a map. Pick your best route. Which is best?
    My Garmin doesn’t give me enough to be that comprehensive.

Rand McNally... has it gotten straightened out yet? Did buy one. Took it back. Goofy out of the box.

Would anyone know most recent largest garmins. Will they do better than my 770 Dezl? Last time I updated. It’s now using my memory card.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Got caught here. Traffic moved on a bad jam on a causeway.
    I run a Garmin Dezl 770. It’s the best I have experienced. But not perfect.
    Tried copilot? Maybe try again?
    Trying out trucker path
    i recently got a iPad. It’s nice. Especially with these apps

4. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    So I had a couple conversations with the RM people about the 550.
    No more classic interface/skin with the new 2.0 navigation software.
    Other features were removed as well, like being able to determine distances to POI's from the destination.

It seems 'progress' means making things more difficult if not impossible.

Hammer166 and black_dog106 Thank this.
  5. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    That sends to be the way all user interfaces evolve. They make them more "user friendly" and it destroys the features the advanced users enjoyed.

Best examples I can point to are the weather web pages. You used to be able to find more technical maps that gave you useful information Now finding anything other than maps for idiots takes 10 minutes of digging, if they're available at all.

Moosetek13 and RedForeman Thank this.
  6. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    That's funny... I know a driver... he has around 35 yrs experience... I can't understand why he leaves that volume on... when we talk on the phone all I hear is "you are going too fast, you need to slow down...." I don't know how he can endure that... but he doesn't seem to care... :confused:

Hammer166 Thanks this.
  7. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    'All these GPS out there.... which ones are really good with restricted roads, weight restrictions and low bridges?
    My former company used CoPilot and Navigator which I really liked for these features... however, my old basic and very simple Garmin was more accurate then those... except for the restrictions...
    So... are any of these new Garmins or any of these other apps good showing restrictions?

8. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    I just did an experiment with Hammer... the trucker app... added explosives and gas in my load and it routed me right thru Eisenhower tunnel in CO.... I guess that is a no no...

9. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    You can try truck map the ap. It is free and works better than hammer.

Rocks Thanks this.
  10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

For my money, I would buy and use the Rand McNally truck units, I don't know anything about the tablet/do everything units, and be prepared to replace it every 2-3 years. The RM unit simply gives more useful info on the screen than the comparable Garmin unit. I heard Kevin Rutherford on satellite radio sum it up perfectly. The RM has the best software and the Garmin has the better hardware. I protected my RM unit like it was my baby and I got maybe 5 or 6 years of service, the last 2-3 years with no map or database updates, despite the "lifetime free updates" claim. My experience is RM updated the database for the first 2 years since it was introduced and only updated the unused ELD feature thereafter. The Garmin hardware looks better and it seemed sturdy compared to the RM. They each have their particular types of errors and you need to at least mostly know where you are going and use the GPS as backup for a few months and not react to every direction and warning if it doesn't make sense.

The main mistakes I saw the RM 740 makes was incorrectly indicating I needed to turn Left/Right. This almost always happened when a large overhead or roadside sign was nearby and showing the correct move. The RM's current Speed Limit feature was about 75% correct. The RM had a few incorrect HazMat restrictions that did not exist in real life.

I would buy whichever device you think should work best for you and then I would also pay for a few months of service of Trucker Patch Gold. The free version doesn't provide turn-by-turn directions, the paid (Gold & Platinum) do provide both truck routes and turn-by-turn directions. I think it uses Google Maps for turn-by-turn but with the truck routes included most of the time. If you are running 2 GPSs you will have them giving conflicting info occasionally. That's pretty stressful if you have little driving experience or no ocal knowledge by which to judge your GPSs performance.

11. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    I had the 7 inch garmin dezl that lasted two years until the suction cup let go of the glass enough times that it finally got permanent brain damage from repeatedly swan diving into the dash, I've had the dezlCam for four years since and it's still perfect, it's got a way better suction cup design with a mechanical assisted lever action suction thing, as long as u windex the glass first it doesn't let go though temperature changes or months of bad bumps

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.