Best long term job in the oil patch

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by korky, Nov 5, 2013.

1. nd-newbie

nd-newbie Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Minot ND
    Yes, I have college degrees (Management, Film) but (according to my boss) I got hired here for my safety education (obtained online while driving) combined with my oilfield experience obtained by driving. The hard part to getting that education is to turn down that last load everyday, so you can clean up and study before you collapse each night. I know how it is. When the other guys finish a frac and then go blow a loose grand on girls, booze and drugs, you stay in the truck and study, and spend that grand on Internet access, books and membership fees. No short cuts here unless you know someone in management at the company you want to work for, in which case you wouldn't be asking your question.

Join the state and national oilfield business associations, and attend their conventions. Clean up, dress up and network there.

You do not need a science degree for safety. That would be for operations, research or exploration.

Google online safety courses. Take every oilfield and safety course you can find, including those that certify you to teach those courses. If you are a visual learner, download and learn all of OSHA's PowerPoint slide shows. Ask a tech-savvy friend to find and download other OSHA, PowerPoint, pdf and other media files related to safety and oilfield operations.

There. That's the basic list of all I wish I had when I wanted more than anything to get out of the semi and work a sustainable job. There's more, but not until you finish all of the above.

Hope it helps.

jte, MoneyCat and Eninety2 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jte

jte Bobtail Member

Thank you.
    I have an AA in business (quite old). I looked for some courses online but it seems so many are charging LARGE money that it would be helpful to know which specific ones are useful. I don't mind spending money for education but I hate to waste it!
    Do you know anything about this site with free training? See I have looked:biggrin_25520:
    http://www.smmr01.com/10_122S/
    Thanks again.
    Jim

4. nd-newbie

nd-newbie Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Minot ND
    Any safety training is a way to begin, however I have no information on the reputation or quality found through that website.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.