Best option to maintain CDL "just in case"?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by PAPPY3X, Sep 23, 2021.

1. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    Nobody ever got rich while unnecessarily giving their money away. I like to keep as much of it in my pocket as possible at all times.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Let's start with the obvious.
    Every state has a different set of rules and regulations. check with your state to see exactly what they are.
    Here in Indiana I am in that exact same situation now. My medical expired in March. My license has been downgraded. I have exactly one year to present a valid medical certificate to the state of Indiana to restore my CDL. After that I would have to start the entire CDL application process as if I never had one.
    There are "agricultural exemptions", which would have to be done through an agricultural business, they would hire me, fill out the form to allow me to drive for them within a certain radius with agricultural based commodities for 90 days, twice a year. No CDL or medical card required. A lot of retired drivers here do that. Again, check with your state.
    Whatever fees are involved are not important. You could make the fees in the first 2 days back at work.
    If you can just stroll into a medical examiner and get a physical, there is no reason not to. The bigger issue for most of us in this situation is that is not that easy. And will get harder and harder as you get older, by design. That is the reason several states have petitioned the USDOT to eliminate the requirement for a CDL for school bus drivers. And they will probably get their way.
    Of course, do you really want to go back to driving and under what circumstances? That is a personal decision. Me, I would rather go to work for the local hardware store. 4.5 Million miles is enough.

4. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Just let it go.

Use the 200 or whatever to learn how to edit videos off skillshare or something.
    Easier and pays about the same as driving a truck.

5. Moronica

Moronica Light Load Member

Mar 13, 2020
    So you can get paid $1,200 a week to edit videos ? Wow, I guess the 10 million people in India who do it for pennies are getting ripped off

6. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    I'm in NC and have been self-certified/retired for a few yrs now.

can drive,but not interstate.

7. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    To be fair 267 dollars in 6 years is not going to make anybody rich. With the rate of inflation going on. that money will be worth about half of what its worth now in 6 years .

8. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Sure can.
    Typically the broadcaster and the editor split the profits of the video 50 50 if they do live content. Plenty looking for reliable editors. Pays alot better than that little 1200 a week holding a steering wheel or sitting in a dock for free wasting your life.

9. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Just pay the $90 every two years for the DOT physical .
    $45 a year is too expensive to keep your CDL?

I get mine done at CVS pharmacy . Quick and easy. Much much faster than the occupational medicine places that most drivers use.

10. drh72

drh72 Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Northeast Minnesota
    How worried are you about having to unexpectedly have to go back driving? If there was any doubt in my mind about having to go back driving I would certainly keep it up. My main reason for this is...How long will it take you to actually get in to see the Doctor to get the exam? Anything more than a day or two, you would have lost in wages more than you saved in expenses the entire 6 years. If your finances hit the fan I would assume you would want to be employed ASAP, so I would personally keep it up to date as I see the $89 cheap piece of mind.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.