Best place to buy a semi

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Bfr38, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Bfr38

Bfr38 Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Ohio
    How is everyone doing? I live in central Ohio and have been burned twice on buying a semi. I’m looking for a place who goes over there trucks good before selling them. I was set on buying a truck from Ohio Truck up in Sandusky, OH, but I have heard a lot of bad things about trucks from there lately. I’m not to picky on the Truck. I’m looming for a 379, W900, Freightliner Classic, International 9900i, Western Star, or a Volvo. Pretty much anything but a Mack lol. Also either a Cummins, or Detroit engine. I don’t mind going to WV, MI, PA, IN just the boardering states of Ohio. If the price was right I would go on over to IL, or down to TN, which I also heard Baskin Truck sales in TN was bad to. Let me know what you all think. Thanks a lot and have a great day!!

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Never trust someone to go over their trucks that they sell.
    Always get a dyno done and an oil sample done. Also, take it to a mechanic you trust to do the inspection.

Yes all that costs, but as you have already found out it costs less then not doing it.

77fib77, Lepton1, buddyd157 and 6 others Thank this.
  4. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Used trucks are worth scrap prices to me unless someone can prove otherwise.

Only person that’s ever going to check out a truck good is you!!!!!!

Dealers shine em up and stickem on the lot.

We just traded in 3 trucks for new. That junk is out on the front row waiting for a sucker just like you. (Uniformed)

You will continue to be taken advantage of till you take control of your destiny.

5. Bfr38

Bfr38 Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Ohio
    Thank you guys. I will def take my mechanic with me. I know some about trucks, but nothing like my mechanic. People hide to much stuff. Thanks again!

6. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    A good owner operator selling his truck will know everything EVERYTHING about it and everyone who has ever touched it and will have every receipt ever received period.

7. Bfr38

Bfr38 Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Ohio
    Exactly! If they don’t they are lying cause them are all write offs. My problem is, I don’t have the cash I would have to get a loan somehow, but if they kept all the receipts and stuff I def would buy a truck off of a O/O.

8. Montanaland

Montanaland Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2010
    H-town
    Selecttrucks has gotten pricey, I bought mine through ruan truck sales.

Freightliner..the toyota of trucks! (15' and above remind you)

77fib77 and Bfr38 Thank this.
  9. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    Look it over, check it out, have a friend check it out, have a mechanic check it out, take it to shop have them check it out, have whoever you want check it out. It still comes down to the fact you will be taking a risk period.
    You don't say how much your wanting to spend or how new or old you are looking for.

10. Bfr38

Bfr38 Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Ohio
    I’m looking to stay under the year 2000. I know places I can work without eld’s and they don’t care about the age of the truck. Price range I’m trying to stay around 30-40,000.

11. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Check out craigslist regularly as well. I have found several great trucks and trailers on there. Bought a quad pup fuel tank trailer on craigslist a couple of years ago, mint condition, and paid far less than any others i was looking at, that weren't nearly as nice.
    Bought a W900 on craigslist as well just last year, good finds to be had out there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.