Best portable AC no Apu

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by dztruck, May 9, 2021.

1. chalplec

chalplec Light Load Member

May 6, 2022
    I bought one of those high velocity industrial fans and rigged it up to the TV mount. It's an 18" or 20" I'm not sure. Plugs into my inverter and runs about 200 watts on high. Feels like a tornado blowing on you. It's loud but I can't sleep without it now. I mostly drive nights and sleep during the day parking around noon and it drowns out all the outside noise and the white Volvo at 4PM with the backup alarm trying to back into a spot for 45 minutes straight.

I'll just idle if it's super hot though. It's been in the low 90s here though and it allows me to sleep naked with no blankets at least. I don't sit for days or any longer than a 8 or 10. My ash content stays low and I've never had a parked regen in my 2 1/2 years of trucking.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kcscomer

kcscomer Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2020
    It's expensive but I bought a ZeroBreeze portable ac. Runs on its own battery.

Key is to make sure you actually put the two vent hoses outside. One is exhaust and other is intake for the condenser to be cooled.

The unit sits on my passenger seat. Once I get parked, the truck stays running the ac while I get it setup. Usually have the zerobreeze running a few minutes before I shut the truck down and it maintains the cold air in the cab and sleeper pretty well.

76" KW t680 double bunk so it's not a small space. Takes me less than 5 minutes to set it up and it runs about 6 hours before I swap batteries.

4. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    View attachment 415710
    If you have space a bigger generator is better. And a side box for it.[/QUOTE]
    Stand up ac and predator 3500 works great

5. Vampire

Vampire Medium Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Transylvania
    Awesome install. It looks like you chewed through the floor. Whatever works to git er done. :D

6. harold6091

harold6091 Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2018
    Mini split and a generator is the way to go. My god i feel such a pain for people sleeping with no AC at night.

Attached Files:

7. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I have a 12k Pioneer Inverter+ waiting for me when I get home.

8. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    I’m still running my lowly 5k window unit. Cooled me from Arizona to Florida so far… I’ve found just diverting the air to sleeper makes it #### cold if I put window shades up… but… it is a pain in the ### and I don’t like lugging it around. I would like to stick a mini split in or rooftop on… Perhaps someday soon.

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  9. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    The mini split I bought was less than a grand. And I only bought the 12k because I wanted that particular one, and they didn't have 9k in stock, which was even cheaper. This one cools and heats.

10. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    nice, post up some pics when done!

11. tiddlytanker

tiddlytanker Light Load Member

May 4, 2017
    Minot, ND
    I found this product in my searches. ZERO BREEZE Mark 2. It is a 2500 BTU battery powered air conditioner. At 2500 BTU, i doubt it provides much relief from the heat and its too expensive for me as well. Interesting product none the less.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.