Best route from Needles CA to Calexico?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Hopley-jackson, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Hopley-jackson

Hopley-jackson Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2018
    What do you consider to be the shortest, safe route for a semi from Needles CA to Calexico CA ?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MM71

MM71 Heavy Load Member

Jun 28, 2008
    AZ
    Uh ... you do not have too many choices. But the only real choice you have is a good one.

Ca 95 to Blythe. I 10 west to Ca 78. To Ca 111 South.

When you go thru the dunes watch out for idiots. Well, more idiots than normal

4. Hopley-jackson

Nov 30, 2018
    I wasn't sure how CA 95 would be for a heavy load. I saw another post that it's like a roller coaster.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. MM71

MM71 Heavy Load Member

Jun 28, 2008
    AZ
    Ca 78 has a couple of 90 degree turns around property lines. The speed limit is low at those places (or its a stop and turn), and the road is wide enough that your off track should not be in the opposing lane. If its not listed as a STAA route ... that's why.

Don't get caught up in the sissyfaction of drivers. There are no crazy grades. Its a desert road. Hills, turns, narrow, soft shoulder. But, more driveable than most midwest roads with steep deep ditches.

If its raining like gangbusters watch out for flash floods. And we have wild donkeys around here. Just like driving anywhere else. Be aware of your surroundings and put er in the wind

rabbiporkchop and Lepton1 Thank this.
  6. Hopley-jackson

Nov 30, 2018
    Thanks! Useful information.

7. MM71

MM71 Heavy Load Member

Jun 28, 2008
    AZ
    There is a big parking area behind the Shell off I 40 at the 141. Lots of parking at Vidal Junction about an hour south of Needles. Fair amount in Blythe. Not too many options once you get on 78 (one rest area, or the side of the road) til you get to El Centro

8. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    It's a fun run IMHO. I've taken the route suggested by @MM71 and liked it. I also had a trainee trainer at the wheel on that run and it freaked him out, because there's long sections of two lane road with no shoulder and soft sand beyond the pavement. It's not a big deal if you have good lane control.

Hopley-jackson and snowwy Thank this.
  9. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    So...
    Do not be talking or texting or watching videos?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Nor should you be spanking the monkey.

11. RustyChops41

RustyChops41 Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2016
    Clovis, CA
    The only good thing about skating along the southern border of CA is that El Centro has a no name brand truck stop right next to In-N-Out Burger

Lepton1 and Hopley-jackson Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.