Best route to go?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by okieboy78, Mar 29, 2019.

1. okieboy78

okieboy78 Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2019
    Hello all,

I'm a new guy coming into the trucking industry and I needing some input.

I will be starting school at CDL University here in OKC next month and I have just obtained my Class A CDL permit along with Hazmat, Doubles/Triples, Tankers endorsements.

I'm wanting to start driving in the oilfield here in Oklahoma when I graduate and eventually, once I have enough experience, I want to start hauling crude oil.

Would it be best for me to start hauling water first while I gain experience?

What are some good companies to drive for here in Oklahoma?

What should I expect to make weekly?

I'd appreciate any info from people that have gone this route with 0 experience and how it worked out for you.

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Start asking. TX and OK have lots of oilfield. In OK most that I saw was west of OKC. The truckstops on that side of town, the company yards, etc. Look up oilfield service and note addresses. Most companies of a type are in an area of town.

Smaller towns mean less pay for harder work.

Equipment is always an important question. Condition. As oilfield trucks are almost always dirty, that makes it tougher.

So, if you can ID some companies in a part of town where you can drive by and have a look, that may help. Huge potholes and equipment with weeds growing thru ain’t what you want.

Oilfield is about service first, and what they charge client, second. Truck company owners want loyal drivers. Those two work together.

If they won’t hire you due to experience, then ask them for advice on who to ask. So when you come back in six months or a year, they’ll already know that first employer.

Understand that insurance costs drive business plans. And understand that most accidents are in backing & turning. Oilfield backing & turning is during a thunderstorm at night. (Uphill both ways to school in a foot of snow).

It ain’t enough to say I F up. No one can afford that guy who can’t make three 90-degree turns while backing halfway across a drilling pad.

Oilfield is a world of its own. Sometimes fun. Sometimes not.

okieboy78 Thanks this.
  4. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    You want to PM me I can let you know who and where in Ok, country.

No #### on backing 90's on a pad slowmover1!

Seen a guy with an old cow wagon truck last week with a stretched frame, tall stacks trying to maneuver around a process facility; what a goat rope.

5. okieboy78

okieboy78 Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2019
    Sure thing!

6. okieboy78

okieboy78 Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2019
    Actually it won't let me send PM's yet since I'm new to the forum....can you send me one?

7. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    If the play is busy enough someone will hire you. Sand will make you a lot of money now, when they stop fracking they're the first to go. I only tell you that because I don't know your situation. If you get a choice of sand or water.

Water will give you a solid base in driving off-road. And you'll have a supervisor close by, called a pusher. In crude your supervisor might be hours away, in some cases states away. Before I went out on my own in North Dakota our supervisor was in Colorado.

Best part with water is that you're getting someone else's equipment stuck. And everyone expects water trucks to get stuck. It's just the way it goes. Most pushers keep a tow rope in the bed of their pickup, they'll call a truck out, pull the load off your trailer, and then that same truck will yank you out.

okieboy78 Thanks this.
  8. okieboy78

okieboy78 Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2019
    My school told me I have a guaranteed job when I graduate.

If you were in my shoes with 0 experience and had the choice of hauling sand or water which would you choose?

9. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Have they told you about the company/companies that are guaranteeing you a job? Do you have guaranteed offers from multiple companies, or do you get to choose between the sand division and the water division of a company that has both (Stevens or Chalk Mountain)?

10. okieboy78

okieboy78 Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2019
    They have ins with multiple companies here in Oklahoma that hire their students when they come out of the school. I don't know the names of all of them yet...when I went in to enroll, I basically told them I would like to haul water or sand when I graduate and they told me no problem and will get me setup with whichever I choose.

I'm just trying to decide which one to choose and what I should be looking for in the first company that I want to work for.

11. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    You will be able to make a more informed decision once you have the specifics from your prospective employers, but here are my general thoughts on the two.

Water will be more consistent than sand. Regardless of the price of a bbl of oil, wells don't stop producing water (unless they're shut-in). Running a vacuum truck is usually pretty easy, but it may require some labor if you have to do service work.

Sand might make you more money initially, but because sand is the primary propant used in frac jobs, it will speed up and slow down a lot more than water will. Also with sand, you may be stuck waiting on location for hours (or days) on end.

okieboy78 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.