Best Starter Company? Advice for new driver in Alabama?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Jeffery251, Feb 25, 2018.

1. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    A Delco starter and Delco battery sounds alot like a friggen air starter, good stuff.

Hulld Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rocco92

rocco92 Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2017

4. rocco92

rocco92 Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2017
    There is a list of companies that do hair focicle test. Check online, I don't think Swift does that test, I know JB #### and Schneider do.

5. lagging

lagging Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Atlanta Ga
    If you are close to mobile Superior Carriers is amazing

6. Jeffery251

Jeffery251 Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Swift started in 2018

7. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    I know nothing bout Primes training, but $700 a week while with a trainer is definitely not the best pay for a student. I know Millis pays .42cpm for all miles the truck drives between student and trainer from the 1st day a student gets on the trainers truck. And I'd put Millis training up against anyone. Then add the amenities in the truck, and the fact Millis isn't governed at turtle speed, and I'd say its hands down better option than Prime. Prime may be a good starter company, but saying they are the best in training and pay just isn't accurate.

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Start your own pension plan with cheap rental property. Let the real estate agent manage it for you, this way you never have to deal with the renters, repairs, complaints, collecting the rent, etc. All you have to do is bank the money. I know a guy in his late 20's that already has about 10 rentals and he's your average blue collar worker in real life.

Kwan23 and CK73 Thank this.
  9. CK73

CK73 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Great thread. Just called Millis which I found out has a school less than an hour away (Burleson, Tx and six others nationwide), nice tip! Confirmed the .42 cpm while training. $500 upfront, $100 deposit in advance to hold your spot, then $400 cash due first day of training. Hotel and 3 meals included then $30 a week payback for a year contract. No credit check.

In my case however, they are frowning upon my Uber experience because it's not a "real job", so instead of arguing and begging I just politely exited the call. They want 3 years verifiable w-2 income with little to no gaps. Smart move really, shows they can afford to be picky! @keen98 probably just suggested the BEST option so far (Millis) in my opinion, if you can qualify and happen to live near a terminal.

@Chinatown has been very helpful to me and suggested Roehl (paid $500 a week training from day one!). Roehl only pays about .32 a mile first year though, with some raises in there so the $500 a week kinda washes out... Roehl is picky too, they want a 100% clean driving record and background. Because they can.

Stevens is easy to qualify but the pay is horrible at around 30 cpm starting out. Swift turned out to be my happy medium..

I chose Swift because my work and background record are not perfect. .37 cpm starting solo is on the upper end of pay for first year, and I know their REEFER is killing it right now and I will probably get more miles and resets than I can handle. Plus, their terminals happen to be in almost every city I am interested in exploring or even living in, and they let you take home time (guaranteed 2 days every two weeks OTR) at most of them, so the story goes. Sounds like fun for a single guy.

TokyoJones Thanks this.
  10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    No, it wouldn't be. $700 is the minimum pay per week even if the truck is broke down and not moving. unlikely, but possible. They just want to make sure there is consistent money in case you have bills to pay.

Kwan23 Thanks this.
  11. AUfan78

AUfan78 Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Mobile, Alabama
    If still looking into the different schools, look into going to a community college program. The ones around the state with a truck driving course are also authorized to give the road test for the CDL. Any other driving schools in the state have to go through the community colleges or the DMV for the road test. plus the college course is probably cheaper.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.