Best state to register a trucking company and truck?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by John Joel Glanton, Jan 23, 2022.

1. John Joel Glanton

John Joel Glanton Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Texas
    I will be buying my own truck within the next year and I can establish my business anywhere in the country. I narrowed it down to Florida, Texas or Nevada. I will use my home address for the authority and registration.

Obviously no state income tax in these three but what else should I consider? Sales tax on the purchase of a truck and trailer? Insurance rates much different in these states? What else should I factor into this decision?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    The way I understand it it's always best to do everything in whatever your home state is.

If you attempt to have your business located in another state than you reside, you'll end up paying taxes twice to that state and to your home state. Plus I think there are other legal fees for being set up in two states.

And on top of that wherever your home address is that is where your insurance is going to rate you.

No, you cannot live in one state and pick a state where you think insurance is cheaper and try to get the insurance company to go along with that.

They are not going to do that number one, and if you tell them something untrue then if you have any kind of claim they will investigate you and if they find out you told them something untrue you will have zero coverage and whatever happens you will be completely liable.

ALWAYS be as transparent as you can be with the insurance company.

4. John Joel Glanton

Sep 22, 2021
    Texas
    Thank you for taking the time to write that up. I am legitimately moving to a new state and building a life there. I am not trying to game the system or cheat on taxes or insurance. At this point I am leaning towards Nevada. Cheers.

77fib77 Thanks this.
  5. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    John Joel Glanton Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @Dave_in_AZ knows more about registering a trucking company in Nevada than I do. I had some notes on that but can't find them now. It was a simple procedure in some little town in Nevada. Maybe OOIDA can help.

77fib77 and John Joel Glanton Thank this.
  7. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    Actually I meant @Chinatown can tell you about living in the state of Nevada.

8. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Tennessee. Zero income tax. Center of the nation. You will always have freight. Lots of movement to TN last three years.

tscottme and John Joel Glanton Thank this.
  9. John Joel Glanton

Sep 22, 2021
    Texas
    Tennessee is a great option for sure.

77fib77 Thanks this.
  10. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    My best truck friend lives there. There are strong points for it. He does OD. He's like 5 hours from every market. Kind of sort of

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Sales and Use Tax - Tennessee
    The sales tax is Tennessee’s principal source of state tax revenue accounting for approximately 60% of all tax collections.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.