Best truck apu air conditioning?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Sea0fgreen, Jul 31, 2023.

1. Sea0fgreen

Sea0fgreen Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Rural USA
    Most companies Ive worked for use tripac. Looking at the brochure it says the ac is 13000 something btu. Rated for 95 degrees.

These 100+ degree days it can't keep up and I'm wondering if any of y'all have tried or used other systems. I've seen one that claims its 22000 btu but it looks a little sketchy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snicrep

snicrep Medium Load Member

May 13, 2009
    mcallen, tx
    I idle until the sun goes down, then run the apu. Company truck though so fuel isnt a worry.

hope not dumb twucker Thanks this.
  4. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    1st off I'm a 0/0 so I can do what I want to my truck...

I have a 3,500 watt "super quiet invertor generator" on my catwalk and a 5,500 btu portable AC sitting between the seats (think R2D2) will run 12hrs on 2gl of gas..

Last week in Arizona at 110° i was sleeping under a cover

5. snicrep

May 13, 2009
    mcallen, tx
    Thats good. But im a co. Driver snd i cant do what i want with the truck. But i dont ever worry about maint and fuel. I can walk away and have worries. Its too late in the game for me to own .but this was about apus, oops.

6. hope not dumb twucker

hope not dumb twucker Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2022
    Company truck has a green brand apu. Normally it’s fine. Heats cools the bunk, pretty much cools the front of can. Unless the curtains are closed then no. That’s if it doesn’t overheat. Was just in the south west. Cali nm az and it overheated durning the day. And a few nights had to run main engine. Otherwise it’s good

7. snicrep

May 13, 2009
    mcallen, tx
    Mine ran in those same areas witjout failing. Just wasnt good enough for comfort in the day

8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Near 100F the TriPac A/C won't keep the whole truck cab cool, just the sleeper if you close the sleeper curtain. I think the biggest complaint about the Thermoking Tripac is the cost, it's expensive.

9. hope not dumb twucker

hope not dumb twucker Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2022
    I don’t know. Just had it serviced. Mechanic thinks it needs a aux fan to keep it from overheating. Or a new control board. When I had a trainer his got switched out and no problems. Company knows so it’s not on me.

10. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    What you need to do is be one step smarter than the sun. If you are parking in the evening, it sets in the west, right? Well then park facing EAST, and it will set behind you.

I started doing this in the Dallas area and I've been cool as a cucumber ever since. I have the Tripac and it works perfect.

11. Blagoje

Blagoje Medium Load Member

Jul 14, 2022
    Sheboygan, Wisconsin
    I have been happy with my Thermo King evolution APU, more often than not on hot nights I usually have to turn it down or off.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.