Best TX Frac Sand Companies with Good time off?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Outis, Oct 22, 2023.

1. Outis

Outis Light Load Member

Apr 19, 2018
    Looking to move to West TX or maybe hobbs NM to get into frac sand, looking for a company that pays well, treats drivers well, and has GOOD TRUCKS, with good time off. Like work 14 off 7 or something like that. I'm looking to live in the truck on the days I work to save on housing costs. I also don't like having to slip seat, hurry back to get the truck to your partner, and waste time/money driving home after work everyday. Everything I own is in my pickup truck and I'm ready to go.
    I'm TSA Cleared but haven't passed my test for my hazmat yet. Looks like Frac sand doesn't require hazmat.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Would you like fries with that?....:p :D

Does that complete your order, today? :)

-- L

unloader Thanks this.
  4. North Pole Nightmare

North Pole Nightmare Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2021
  5. plater1

plater1 Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2011
    back in NY
    I hauled frac sand for several years in West Texas. If you can head to Odessa/Midland and look around. You can't go 40 seconds without seeing a sand truck. Knock on some doors and look for some "looking for drivers" signs. My last job down there was for a company called Horizon. They are on Highway 715 south of Midland. When i worked there they had showers in the terminal and kept up with truck repairs well. I stayed in the truck for several weeks at a time then would take a week off when i needed it. Overall they were pretty good. I understand they are under new ownership, so my info might be dated. If you go back a few (2011) years i have a long thread about how i got in to the oilfield. If you are a hard worker you will do well.

Metalicious, Outis and lual Thank this.
  6. Outis

Outis Light Load Member

Apr 19, 2018
    The 3 weeks on, 1 week off sounds pretty cool, a big reason I want to do oilfield. But are they all 70+ Hours a week on the 3 weeks you work? All in the desert in the middle of nowhere during those 3 weeks? Granted I guess you don't make money on the week off either ehh? But maybe make enough in the 3 weeks you work to compensate.
    Just wanna stack up some money and live out of the truck. Been living in my pickup truck for 8 months and a semi would actually be an upgrade from my current living situation cuz you can stand up in there! But looking for a company that doesn't have terrible trucks. And guess I'll bring some resistance bands with me to work out on my 8 (or 10) hours off.

7. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    I haul sand as an owner operator in PA/WV/OH. Everything is overtrucked. We got guys up here from Texas. It’s crappy across the entire US. Nothing is guaranteed even for company drivers with contracts. It’s a roller coaster. At this point it’s luck of the draw.

I agree with the post above. Also look at NexTier. They hire company sand drivers. Halliburton sometimes hauls their own sand. Just not in every area.

Sand hauling is deceiving. Fracking can be very busy and at the same time you can’t make money hauling sand. Too many people in the game. The foreigners have also got into it and made it so much worse.

3lopezgene and Crude Truckin' Thank this.
  8. JoeyJunk

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    The glory days of sand hauling are gone.

9. Outis

Outis Light Load Member

Apr 19, 2018
    the glory days of everything are gone but if I can live in a truck and work 3 weeks a month making 100k sounds good to me.

10. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
  11. JoeyJunk

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    RockinChair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.