Best way to find loads for part time work in the winter?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Andrew Woods, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Andrew Woods

Andrew Woods Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Pawnee, TX
    I have a single axle freightliner fld w/sleeper and a 35’ gooseneck that I use to haul my equipment for my business. During the slow winter months where could I find some loads to keep the truck busy at least so I can keep revenue coming in? I already have MC authority, DOT, etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Landstar broker board and ch,Robinson broker also Mercer brokerage ,do that Google thing

4. Andrew Woods

Feb 22, 2016
    Pawnee, TX
    Thank you I will check them out. I’ve been on google till my eyes hurt haha. There are so many things I don’t know which ones to give my time to and which ones are garbage.

5. nvmyrc51

nvmyrc51 Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2018
    Florence, KY
    Does your current insurance cover contract hauling like that? Not a poke but I really don’t know.

6. Andrew Woods

Feb 22, 2016
    Pawnee, TX
    Yes I set up my insurance to handle general freight.

7. Andrew Woods

Feb 22, 2016
    Pawnee, TX
    I've been trying to get started for almost 6 months now. I have been to every load board, website, forum, etc. and still haven't been able to haul a single load. Granted my situation is a little different than most as I have a single axle freightliner and a 35' gooseneck trailer that I already had from my other business. It seems as if the gov bulls**t is never ending and every time I think I am ready to haul, something else comes up. Now I am having issues finding a broker or shipper that will work with me and/or my smaller truck and trailer. I am about to the point of giving up and hiring on with someone or leasing on but I do not want to lose my ability to create my own schedule as I do still have another business that I own/operate. I tell people now that I know why no one starts trucking anymore on their own is because you almost can't do it without going broke before you get the first load. I am disgusted with the amount of gov involved in running a truck up and down the road nowadays.

8. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Why would someone book a load with you? This is simply supply and demand. You supply a single axle truck and a 35’ trailer. That is not in demand at all. Even a hotshot Dodge Ram can have a 48’ trailer.

My advice is to rent a 48’ trailer and book light loads. Having a single axle truck will hurt a bit but at least this will work.

9. Andrew Woods

Feb 22, 2016
    Pawnee, TX
    I agree with you. The trailer is just the trailer I already had. I am currently looking for a 48' step deck. It would be awesome if I could find someone that wanted to trade but that would be a fairy tale.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.