Best way to get hired as dock worker?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Thelastofmykind, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Thelastofmykind

Thelastofmykind Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Sorry guys for all the questions, last one...

So it looks like I'm gonna try to get in as a dock worker and get my foot in the door. Most of the ltl companies will only let you apply online and only for an open position posted there. I do best if I can meet face to face, I dress presentable and am very professional. So can I just show up at the warehouse? Who do I ask for or will I be turned away at the guard shack? What were your experiences getting hired on and will there be a good cchance of advancement to a driver?

I plan on getting my cdl with dt and hazmat although i won't be 21 for a few months, that's why I'd like to get in as a dockworker.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ralph

ralph Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2009
    At The Key Board
    If you have to do it online then go to plan B. Do you know anyone there? Do you have a friend or family member that knows anyone there? Friend of a friend of a friend that can get you past security? You have realized that working on the dock is the start to a GOOD paying job>you're already miles ahead of everyone else>

Good luck to you.

4. Thelastofmykind

Thelastofmykind Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Unfortunately, I know no one connected to such companies. Thanks for the input Ralph.

5. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    appy, then call like a week later to follow up.

Horrible time to be getting into the freight world..seasonal slowdowns are here and dockworkers are usually the first to go..

6. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Yeah you'd probably have better luck in the springtime but check Craigslist as well. Many of the local freight co's in my city post available positions there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.