Better GPS mounts

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Still undecided, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Still undecided

Still undecided Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Has anyone found a better mount than the OEM mount for a Garmin OT700 GPS? Mine just won't stick to the windshield when it's cold out and I had the same problem with a Rand McNally 740. I'm doing dedicated runs in a day cab now so I don't use the GPS unless I know I'm going somewhere different, but it's really annoying and distracting when the expensive device designed for use in a truck won't stay where I can see it when I'm driving.

If there's a better idea for mounting it on the dash that can easily be removed I'd like to hear about that too.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Coolbreezin

Coolbreezin Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2016
    Florida
    Clean the surfaces with alcohol then use elmers craft glue as a helper to keep it attached to the glass. Thats what I do.

Still undecided Thanks this.
  4. M22 rockcrusher

M22 rockcrusher Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2020
    Talk to it politely give it confidence be nice.....and if that doesn't work through it out the window then run over it.......after all that Google 67designs/mounts

5. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    I spit on the back of mine and stick it to the windshield and it’ll stay there for a month or so before it warns me it’s failing. Press it on hard before putting the lever down.

If yours is very old and getting beat from the sun just order a new Garmin mount like I have done.
    I have had Garmin’s for years and never had a problem with their mounts. I also put mine up high near the visor without any worries. Too close to the dashboard can disturb the seal if going over a pothole the gps makes contact.

6. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    9D5E0121-520C-4FE2-A519-42B2638F71CD.jpeg
    this is what i use now..it has amazing suction on windshield..even in below 0 temps

Still undecided and RubyEagle Thank this.
  7. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    I’d take a hot glue gun and glue the suction cup to the dash then it’s actually closer to you. Some new windshields are a mile away from the driver. As well, alcohol will take the hot glue off when you’re done with the truck so no permanent damage. If you can screw something I’d go with a solid mount like this.

Attached Files:

8. Still undecided

Still undecided Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2019
    I've been yelling at it, but that hasn't helped yet. It did start to direct me somewhere else after I yelled at it once, I guess I'd activated the voice input part somehow and it was directing me back to where I'd started instead of where I needed to go.

You'd think with what we spend on these units they'd have figured out a better way to get them to stick to the windshield when it's cold out. It's a good thing the aftermarket did, thanks for all the recommendations.

9. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    http://blog.imagnetmount.com/windshield-mounting-laws-for-all-50-states-in-the-us/

There is this to consider as well, not every state allows a GPS on the windshield. Would they actually write a ticket? Who knows, I’m guessing not but you never know.

NO

The laws are clear in the states that fall into the NO category. GPS devices and smartphones are not allowed to be mounted on the windshield of a vehicle. In many cases, a specific mention is made about the obstruction of vision due to non-transparent materials. The states that fall into the NO category include:

Alabama
    Arkansas
    Connecticut
    Delaware
    District of Columbia
    Georgia
    Idaho
    Iowa
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Montana
    Nebraska
    New Jersey
    New Mexico
    North Dakota
    Oklahoma
    Oregon
    Pennsylvania
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina
    South Dakota
    Texas
    Virginia
    Washington
    West Virginia
    Wisconsin
    Wyoming

10. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Not speaking for personal vehicles but in CMV’s they are allowed now.

11. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.