Better pay in the 70s/80s

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ronjeremyjr, Mar 22, 2020.

1. ronjeremyjr

ronjeremyjr Medium Load Member

Mar 6, 2020
    NY Tristate Area
    Sad but true

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ronjeremyjr

Mar 6, 2020
    NY Tristate Area
    was $30,000 a lot in the 80s?. Do you live in an expensive part of the country?. $70,000 isn’t too bad in certain areas Wisconsin for example but New York it’s barely enough.

4. ronjeremyjr

Mar 6, 2020
    NY Tristate Area
    I don’t think it’s just trucking but in all industries salaries haven’t kept up with inflation and higher costs of living. I used to know a guy from NY who bought his house for $30,000 back in the 70s which today is around 150,000. Not too many places you can buy a good home for that price especially near a major metro area.

5. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Elgin Nd
    I lived in Rosebud Texas in the 80s.Home payments $200.00 a month.Now I live in Savannah Ga and thankful my home's paid for.As everything is sky high there.

6. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    You made less than $800/week working a bunch of hours and make less now? Because I work about 40hrs a week and make well more than $800/wk and have for atleast the last 10yrs.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    My back is gone. I have said in the past that I don't take very much medicine if at all this year for it. However there are days that the spine is really bad. We are discussing with the doctors to essentialy take the group of 9 signal nerves, slash them and burn them out. It will take a year for the body to rebuild the connection give or take.

We just don't know yet. Part of the problem with the spine being gone, I tend to overdo it physically in work like a 21 year old. Pay for it the next two weeks until the inflammation goes down. Sometimes at the toilet. We just havent figure that out yet. We are working on it.

8. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    Even if he worked 40 hours he still could afford a nicer home/car/ and have more money in his pocket than we do today at 800 a week. I did similar work back then in construction. O/T was easy actually. Have to consider no instant communication. Issue at job site, TOP had to run into town and figure it out. What a time :cool:

9. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Oh I agree. I started and excavation co in 2005 with a Bobcat skidsteer, an F250 and a flatbed trailer. That machine paid for itself in a matter of months, paid for my truck, and put $ in my pocket. I eventually got to the point when I moved to Tx that I had the skidsteer, a Case backhoe and Fld dump truck and was clearing over a grand a day most weeks with very few breakdowns costing very little. But dealing with customers, other contractors, and all the bs burned me out. I thought trucking was a better avenue but started out running hotshot. Learned the hard way that I didn't know #### about this industry and realized I needed to be in someone else's truck to learn what I needed. But I dont make anywhere near what I did in construction.

I also saw what 9/11 and the housing market crash in 08 did to the economy. Such a different world now than 20yrs ago. And now we're about to see something else major happen and its not going to be good.

Linte_Loco Thanks this.
  10. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    An excavator is like an old girlfriend. You kinda hate her, but you kinda love her ;)

11. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Actually things were not as cheap as people think they were 40 years ago.
    Gas for instance is cheaper now than it was back then and I’m talking about before this economic crash. It may have been .90 cents a gallon back in 1979 but the average wage was around $6-10 an hour. Plus a car needed tune ups and brakes a lot more often than today’s cars.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.