Better Than Striking: Write to Congress

Discussion in 'Truckers Strike Forum' started by Keith7, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Keith7

Keith7 Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Antonito, CO
    People see truckers go on strike about the HOS or ELD mandate and think "Of course, they're against it; they want to drive for 20 hours straight." The idea of truckers being angry needs to be turned into a real argument about how the laws don't make sense.

Only drivers like us realize that HOS regulations don't actually stop fatigued driving... they don't prevent the only thing they were put in place for. And they lower truckers' pay in the short-term and raise the cost of goods in the long-term... well I'm preaching to the choir.

A lot of people think that writing to congress is pointless unless you are rich or a lobbyist, because politicians are corrupt and only care about their own pockets and not their constituents. This is not entirely true: no interest group lobbied for the HOS/ELD laws in the first place. The laws were based on a genuine interest in making our highways safer, and to someone that doesn't drive, it appears that they do.

So write to your senators and representative! Give them examples of times when you were fatigued but could drive legally. Give them examples of times you weren't fatigued but had to shut down. Quote FMCSA statistics that show that our highways aren't safer now that the laws are in place. Show how the cost of shipping has increased. Mention the driver shortage. Use good grammar and spelling.

Yeah, I got helpful links:

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sillzmom

Sillzmom Bobtail Member

May 1, 2018
    Truckers need to organize a sensible, calm adult strike to bring attention to all the crap they deal with DAILY getting goods delivered.
    The new e-logs are a farce. Hurting only the honest driver-contact ur representatives don't just gripe to each other.
    Attention needs to be drawn to the 4-wheeler's causing accidents by not getting the picture that an 18 Wheeler needs space to start/stop/turn/change lanes.
    My husband has been a trucker for nearly 25 yrs-we drove team for a time and I rode with him as well...so I know the inconsiderate treatment Truckers get.
    Fines should be levied and leeway given to drivers when the customer eats up their time...nobody shows respect anymore!! When their goods arrive they should have a place ready for it and somebody to unload them!
    On top of all this fuel prices need to get reasonable and STAY reasonable- nobody should be penalized for WORKING!

4. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    You want less regulation so you can create a paper log sheet that looks legal like everyone did before elogs and then you want more regulations to force the oil companies to sell you cheap fuel..

5. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Why is writing to congress a good idea ?

6. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    I just ate a PB&J with Doritos in it.
    Hmm. Not bad.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  7. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Elog tells me when to work, and when to stop working. It does not tell me when to sleep. So safety is not the reason for elog. If safety were an issue the truck would make sure you had at least 6 hours of REM sleep.

8. KLOBUCK

KLOBUCK Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2018
    MAGA people,I'm telling you right now MAGA.
    all of you fully deserve what's happening. Write to Congress? They live on different planet. You peop,e don't know neighbor name that's why....
    Government asking for sacrifice? Are you stupid or something? Not enough drivers? Are you stupid or something? People don't talk to each other anymore thats the reason. You don't have to agree you have to have conversation.

9. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

I tried writing to congress,
    But they couldn't read anything not written in crayon.

10. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Congress making laws based on statustics.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Why write?

Text them, call them, visit them in the local town when they get home on weekends, get yourself elected with 534 other truckers to both houses of Congress. Things like that.

Its not going to improve. The 1962 HOS was pretty close. The needs of the load is greater than having a single go to bed time every day. We might as well be France with a 3 day workweek. Nothing will get done.

When I was very small, we ha the entire area shut down after dinner time with the exception of one or two gas stations, one truckstop, mission critical installations such as Conowingo Dam etc. We did not need too much in terms of freight or trade etc. If you were out late at night you were either a trucker, a traveler or someone in trouble good or bad.

Fast forward decades to today. We run everything 24/7 There is a taco bell that never quits at all hours for example. Why? There is no need for that at 4 am. If you want a taco snack make it yourself at home. Cheaper and allows the place to close after the dinner hour every night. Society made us what we are a 24/7 no sleep country. There is a walmart with like 10 people in it at night while I sleep. And a dozen more throwing freight across several trailers in the Searcy DC.

Imagine a society that turns lights off at 9 PM every night. That DC and store is shut at night things will slow down quite a bit and people will scream and complain etc.

This is my only post here. I cannot expect this thread to survive because it's too close to politics.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.