Beverage Distributor/ Driver Jobs: an insight from a driver.

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Newbie-20, Feb 3, 2013.

1. carl320

carl320 Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Somewhere, IN
    I worked in the warehouse of a Miller distributor for a while, but did a few days as a helper on route. Dragging two 160lb kegs on a handcart up and down stairs in the winter is not a fun way to make a living.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Newbie-20

Newbie-20 Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Las Cruces, NM
    No its not, you wouldn't like my Friday's on my route I have three restaurant stops back to back each take 8-10 kegs haha

4. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    I work for a millercoors distributor and they always try to put anywhere from 20-25 stops a day and put upwards of 600-800 cases a day..

5. Newbie-20

Newbie-20 Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Las Cruces, NM
    Yup that sounds like a Miller-Coors distributor on my first route I got with the company I had 13-20 stops and would take out about 500-700 solo in my route now I have anywhere from 7-13 stops a day and take out anywhere from 1000-1500 a day =\ luckily I get a helper but still its a lot, these companies don't care about driver safety or sending help, as long as they hit their numbers and get there bonuses they're happy

striker Thanks this.
  6. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    You're not kidding they don't care about safety!!...I had a store owner come from behind and reach over me and grab the top of my dollie and slam it back and bruised me on my stomach and proceeded to raise his fist in my face & told me he was going to knock me out...i grabbed to fool by the collar & warned him he was about to meet his maker...he was trying to steal a case of beer...my company told me not to call the police but I did anyway....

' the head mgr still laughs at it thinking it was funny...

7. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    I delivered for a small family owned place out of an overloaded 1986 Econoline Van when I was 18. Didn't have near the stops or cases you are all talking about and I hated even that. Only plus was lots of free lunches and good lookin bartenders. The social clubs were hilarious. All the 70+ yr old men drinking since 7 or 8am. They acted like the beer man was sent down from God himself. Lots of good laughs!

8. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co

straight out of CDL school I went to work for the local 7up/Snapple company. I was given a nice route from the start, downtown Denver. The guy had been doing the route for 3 yrs blew out his knee and had to have surgery, so I was given the route for 2 months. Start time was 4 am, on rare occasions I was done by 1 pm, most days it was closer to 3 pm that I finished. When I started it was hourly, $10.50/hr, my first check was $1,200 take home, loved it. After a month, they changed the pay to $99.00 per day for anyone under 6 mos. exp., it went up from there. The top guy went from making $15.50/hr to $129/day, he started at 4 am as well and generally done and off the clock by Noon, so he made out, most of us lost money.

What led fully to me quitting was more about the company than anything else, but the work was BS. Rude, arrogant, PITA customers, rude arrogant, PITA motorists who block the way. Trucks were junk, equipment was junk, loads were never right. Most mornings I started at 4 am and was never on the road before 5:30 as the truck would have to be unloaded and reloaded correctly.

Coke, Pepsi and Bud seem to have it easier. If I would have stayed with them, and they had switched to the overnight 7/11 and convience store deliveries like Coke/Pepsi it wouldn't have been so bad. Friends son does an overnight for Pepsi, all 7/11 and other 24 hrs convience stores. Generally 8 to 10 stops per night 5 nights a week, he starts at 9 pm and is usually done by 6am except in bad weather. The only downside, he has more a problem with theft than the daytime drivers do.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.